Strange spot on Brachypelma albopilosum

Eliz80

Arachnopeon
Hey all, this is my first time posting on the board but I've always frequented here for all my T questions.

Today I was changing out my Brachypelma albopilosum's cage (curly hair) and I noticed a strange spot on it- pic attached. Not sure when this spot popped up because I rarely see my T from this angle and I'm away from home often (relatives take care of the T when I'm away for school and yes they also have done their research and know generally how to care for a tarantula). The past few months it has been a bit finicky about food but it did eat 2 superworms last week after refusing several crickets. Before this feeding, it had been about a month and a half of it refusing food.

Any idea what the spot could be? I don't believe it's molting since I've had it for a bit and typically recognize its premolt behavior and appearance. Plus, it just ate.

General info about the T to potentially help figure this out:

Sex: Unknown
General temp: 75 F
Humidity: anywhere from 60-75%
Set up: coconut moss, open water dish
Last molt: July
General appearance: full abdomen, hairy, no oddities besides mentioned spot
Behavior: previously fasting but broke fast, frequently out to drink water (not sure if drinking more than usual or just deciding to come out in the day rather than night to drink), less interest in food- previously was pretty ferocious

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Then I would say that is injury from fall. Remove sharp decor and add more sub. Even if you think you have enough sub :p

Eliz80

Arachnopeon
Then I would say that is injury from fall. Remove sharp decor and add more sub. Even if you think you have enough sub :p
Ah, any idea if it's looking like it's healing? Looks nasty but the T seems to be fine in terms of behavior.

But this explanation makes sense. I foolishly tried out a new substrate months ago due to a friend's suggestion who had Ts. It was bark pieces. My T could have easily gotten scratched from this substrate I'd imagine. Glad to have coconut moss now though but will make sure to pack that substrate from now on just in case.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Bark is the answer. A no-no in future

Eco earth is cheap and effective as is top soil.

Although your T is in bad shape now, I cant see any haemolymph or fluid leaking. This could have been a fall but in this case lucky. Sometime a rupture is possible and can be deadly.

You know what to do. Swap out substrate (sooner rather than later) and any sharp decor. Cork hide and water dish until recovery next moult at least.

It is a nasty bash but looks ok. I have seen worse. Now you know why folks here advise aginst coco bark ;)

Eliz80

Arachnopeon
Bark is the answer. A no-no in future

Eco earth is cheap and effective as is top soil.

Although your T is in bad shape now, I cant see any haemolymph or fluid leaking. This could have been a fall but in this case lucky. Sometime a rupture is possible and can be deadly.

You know what to do. Swap out substrate (sooner rather than later) and any sharp decor. Cork hide and water dish until recovery next moult at least.

It is a nasty bash but looks ok. I have seen worse. Now you know why folks here advise aginst coco bark ;)
Thanks for your help!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
On top of the advice already given, it is probably a good idea to not let her get very fat. Is it is a scar/wound, putting strain on it because she has a big abdomen from heavy feeding could lead to complications.