Strange sling behaviour. My sling built a pit of doom πŸ˜†

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I just got my 1cm A.chalcodes on Wednesday called her It, It has since dug a burrow and a hole 20210616_183421.jpg ... I thought It was just an over achiever but I noticed when I fed It she waited over the hole and as soon as the fruit fly fell in It she dived on it 20210618_103546.jpg she has done this withe all 3 of the fruit flys I dropped in yesterday. 20210619_080100.jpg
It sits at the entrance to her burrow you can see the pit she dug directly in front of her home and has slowly expanded , my question is has anyone else seen this behaviour or have had slings with any strange behaviours ? I will document more on It's pit of doom 😁 and see if she keeps this method of hunting or if its a one off 😊 Either way I look forward to seeing your strange sling stuff πŸ˜€

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Looks good! Nothing strange in any bad way. I think this is part of the appeal of these creatures, that what seems strange to us is totally normal for them. Some people might caution you not to feed exclusively fruit flies (which may not provide all of the nutritional requirements), but to mix in other prey items as well. This is one of my favorite species. Enjoy!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I am hoping to mix in micro crickets but they don't last long for me (3days) and I haven't been able to source them locally so till I can get some it's ff or cricket drum sticks πŸ˜† but ty for the info πŸ™‚ and no not bad I just found her hunting method interesting, then wondered if others on here had other slings that had strange behaviours ie not normal sling stuff , I would love to see others stories if there are any 😊

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like normal behavior to me. Such a pretty little one. I have several that do this with mealworms and it's always fun to watch!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like normal behavior to me. Such a pretty little one. I have several that do this with mealworms and it's always fun to watch!
Cool and thanks I love her already 😊 I am newish to the world of t's I have 4 slings atm but It is the only one that adopted this method of hunting she is definitely fun to watch !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just got my 1cm A.chalcodes on Wednesday called her It, It has since dug a burrow and a hole View attachment 388648 ... I thought It was just an over achiever but I noticed when I fed It she waited over the hole and as soon as the fruit fly fell in It she dived on it View attachment 388649 she has done this withe all 3 of the fruit flys I dropped in yesterday. View attachment 388647
It sits at the entrance to her burrow you can see the pit she dug directly in front of her home and has slowly expanded , my question is has anyone else seen this behaviour or have had slings with any strange behaviours ? I will document more on It's pit of doom 😁 and see if she keeps this method of hunting or if its a one off 😊 Either way I look forward to seeing your strange sling stuff πŸ˜€
No one has ever seen this before, might be a Nobel Prize :lol:

Normal

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
πŸ˜† had an image there of a t with a mortaboard on with a little scroll hahaha

Myrlina

Arachnosquire
I am hoping to mix in micro crickets but they don't last long for me (3days) and I haven't been able to source them locally so till I can get some it's ff or cricket drum sticks πŸ˜† but ty for the info πŸ™‚ and no not bad I just found her hunting method interesting, then wondered if others on here had other slings that had strange behaviours ie not normal sling stuff , I would love to see others stories if there are any 😊
I use small crickets rather than the micro ones and squish them before feeding. My tiny slings seem to eat them fine. I feed them goldfish flakes and bug gel and they live for ages.

jRaskell

Arachnopeon
Nothing as interesting as your pit of doom, but I have a L. parahybana that has never burrowed, not once. I got it as a tiny sling similar in size to yours. It's been about 9 months now and it's about 2-2.5" and there have been zero burrows.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
You can also dice mealworms -- a filling meal for any sling. (Mealworms can mostly be kept in the refrigerator to slow the rate of maturation into beetles.)

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I did think about these but didn't want to cut them up(I am a big softy πŸ˜†) I may have to grow a pair n try them though i looked up the info on ff last night, you would think flys would be good for spiders ,go figure they're not πŸ˜† I used to get mealworms for my beardy so I know I can get them , thanks hinny 😊 I shall be brave n get some. One worm would probably feed my t collection they are all tiny lol πŸ˜†

Ian14

Arachnobaron
You could try breeding your own mealworms. Dead easy to breed, then you can feed the tiny newly hatched mealworms to the slings. Just make sure that you crush the head first.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
You could try breeding your own mealworms. Dead easy to breed, then you can feed the tiny newly hatched mealworms to the slings. Just make sure that you crush the head first.
Wouldn't even know where to start with that but gunna scour the search bar now and see what I can find thanks Ian.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
It's easy.
Buy a box of mealworms, put them in a much larger container filled with oatmeal, cereal etc and leave them to it! Once they start to metamorphose into beetles they will then breed and lay eggs which hatch into mealworms.

Alternatively,

Get more slings so that the tub of hatchling crickets they love so much doesn't go to waste 😁

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It's easy.
Buy a box of mealworms, put them in a much larger container filled with oatmeal, cereal etc and leave them to it! Once they start to metamorphose into beetles they will then breed and lay eggs which hatch into mealworms.

Alternatively,

Get more slings so that the tub of hatchling crickets they love so much doesn't go to waste 😁
Haha I already have another on order 😁 C.virsicolour this time, my first arboreal πŸ˜ƒ
Thanks I shall order some today and give it a go 😊