Strange s'ling behavior

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine just got his first T., a 1.25" G. aureostriasta s'ling, and occasionaly it will walk around with it's opisthosoma held 90 degrees in the air, perpendicular to the rest of its body. Does anyone here know why it would do that, is it an indication of a problem or a perfectly normal behavior?

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, that one is a bit strange. I had a vagans that would do this and it never seemed to be an indication of ill health. he matured quite normally etc.. Still, i can't give an answer to the reasons behind the behaviour. Anyone able to enlighten?

it does look damn wierd though, doesn't it? :D

my_dead_valenti

Arachnopeon
is it not something to do with keeping warm, or getting warm air to the book lungs?
my sub adult A.Seemanni will sit there with hers in the air.
she was bent over like a "J" postion today in front of the heater:eek: crazy stuff

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always thought that they did this to look larger and more intimidating when they feel threatened or annoyed. Here is my little G. auro after I had to dig it up to rehouse it....he wasn't a happy camper but it's pretty cute to look at haha.

Steph

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
odd

Hmm, since the T is not rising up into a standing threat pose, I dont know what that really is. Ive never noticed this behavior from my slings. It does look odd. Since its done outside the enclosure, cant be a problem substrate. I dont use any supplemental heating, so cant comment on that being what this pose is. Thanks for the pics.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my x. immanis does it, as do my avics... i'm pretty sure its correlated with being annoyed)..
my avics, will actually track my hand with their rump if i move my hand around above them, and have actually backed into my hand on a few occasions when i foolishly put my hand directly behind them.
similarly, my immanis has been kicking hairs recently, despite my best efforts not to piss her off.
anyways, i think the rump raising just demonstrates a readiness to deploy urticating hairs, whether through direct contact like the avics, or kicking like the immanis.

cheers! :D
- munis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my 2" P.lugardi has been doing it on and off for the last few days. it could be getting ready to molt or might be that the temp has dropped a bit the last few days. very curious behavior tho...

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hmmm... an OW t doing that? now *that's* mysterious... no theories on that one! is it actually sticking its butt up, or elevating its whole body?

- munis
my 2" P.lugardi has been doing it on and off for the last few days. it could be getting ready to molt or might be that the temp has dropped a bit the last few days. very curious behavior tho...

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
It means the tarantula is pissed off. Whatever you're doing to make it behave like that will onyl stress it out.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i agree with hcsk8ter - that is a sign that a t is pissed off. so your friend should stop whatever he's doing to make the sling pissed and everything should go back to normal. my b. vagans sling does this at the slightest provocation (like opening the lid) btw.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
butt up in the air like a female dog in heat.

nothing really going on to piss it off unless it sees the a. seemani across the wayin the other tank...

hmmm... an OW t doing that? now *that's* mysterious... no theories on that one! is it actually sticking its butt up, or elevating its whole body?

- munis

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree with hcsk8ter - that is a sign that a t is pissed off. so your friend should stop whatever he's doing to make the sling pissed and everything should go back to normal. my b. vagans sling does this at the slightest provocation (like opening the lid) btw.
Not always-- I've had T's do this for days on end... in fact I have a thread about this soemwhere around here from the first time I saw it......I'll try to find it

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that is freakin' funny. i have no clue what would cause it to do that, but i wouldn't worry to much. that's just me though. some people may say to worry, but not me.