Strange Scorpion Behaviour

Shmegan

Arachnopeon
This morning I was doing my morning routine and found my emp. scorpion face first in his substrate with his tail pointing up, almost flipped over upside down. I figured he somehow got himself into this situation and flipped him back over. Not even 5 minutes later I looked over and he had done it again. When I flip him back he acts just as he always has. He just ate 2 days ago. I have removed him from his tank and put him in his "travel container" so that he cannot flip himself over anymore, but am not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He's only my second scorpion and my other one died of old age and had no health issues.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What substrate? Is there room to burrow? Is there a hide?

While it does sound a bit strange, I don't think it's something to worry about, but I want to make sure it's got a good setup. The first thing that comes to my mind is that he is going to molt or wants to hide from bright light, and is unable to because of the set up. So it's sticking it's head in the sand, so to speak. It could be possible it is going to molt, and doesn't feel like it has a proper place to as well. Is it an adult do you know?

Shmegan

Arachnopeon
The substrate is compressed coconut husk. He has 2 hides, one is a hut that he usually stays in. The other is a rock that he burrows under to make his own den. There are also plenty of plants that provide cover.

I am not sure of his age. I got him about a year ago and he has not gone through a molt in the time I have had him. He's not very large, probably 4 to 5 inches long.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a good setup. The only other thing I could suggest, would be to take a close look at him/her for mites. If you have a magnifying glass, you can get a good close look. Look around the soft tissue, like the eyes, pectines, mouth, etc.

If you don't see any mites, than the only other thing I would say is take a picture if you can. It would be interesting to see. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. A little strange, yes, but I don't think it's a big deal.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Is he (do we actually know it is a he?) orienting in any particular direction or doing the behaviour in the same spot? Can you describe your setup with respect to light (including from windows etc.) and heat?

Cheers,
Dave