strange rosie MM molt

smrich

Arachnopeon
My MM rosie molted and is still alive and seems fine. It this possible? I'm guessing he will die soon. But other than 1 missing palp he seems fine. I've been on vacation for the last week so I'm not sure how long it has been since the molt.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Take pix, and keep a record. Some people do report MM post-penultimate molts, so it has happened before! He sounds lucky he managed it with only one missing palp. He might even still spin a new sperm web and be breedable!

Marga

smrich

Arachnopeon
Mm

Well that would be awesome! I will take a pic and try to post it.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Every case I've read of where a MM completed a post-ultimate molt seemed to end with a weaker, even leggier T that refused to eat and died shortly after (longest I've read of one living was around the four month mark I think).

I'd like to see some pics also. Always interesting to see :).

smrich

Arachnopeon
He is def leggier and has huge tibial spurs, I'm not sure if their is a hook on his remaining palp, doesn't seem to be one that is visable.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He is def leggier and has huge tibial spurs, I'm not sure if their is a hook on his remaining palp, doesn't seem to be one that is visable.
The tibial spurs are the hooks. He won't have one on his palp unless you're talking about his palpal emboli (sperm delivering equipment) :).

smrich

Arachnopeon
Well the tibial spurs on the legs are huge, and the emboli I couldnt remember what they are called, is hard to see on the remaining palp I'm not sure if it is their or if it was lost in the molt.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well the tibial spurs on the legs are huge, and the emboli I couldnt remember what they are called, is hard to see on the remaining palp I'm not sure if it is their or if it was lost in the molt.
Well, you are now the owner of a rare specimen in the hobby, ie a post-ultimate male. Take lots of pics and document appetite, behavior etc. Always good to have more knowledge about these cases.

Good luck.

smrich

Arachnopeon
Well, you are now the owner of a rare specimen in the hobby, ie a post-ultimate male. Take lots of pics and document appetite, behavior etc. Always good to have more knowledge about these cases.

Good luck.
That's a nice way of putting it, my first comment on FB when I posted his pic's was "ewwww" lol

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Well, if that stump is his palp, I'd think he would no longer be breedable. I've never read of any post ultimate molt male ever retaining fully functional pedipalps (with regards to mating). They either lose them or they are deformed to the point of being useless. Looks like your boy had one of each!

Still, keep him as comfortable as you can in his final days/months, and come back to update once in a while. It's be interesting to know if he will eat or make sone sperm webs. Very interesting, these MM molts... :)

smrich

Arachnopeon
He is still alive, he has no interest in eating, but he otherwise seems o.k.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hey, smrich! The link doesn't work. Sign into your FB account, and go to your pic albums. Select the album with the pics you want us to see. At the bottom of that page you will see

Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:

with an address under this. This can be posted here for members to see your pics.

OR:

If you only want to share a few pics from an album, click on each pic and under it you will find the same.

Hope to see the pics soon! Congrats on your post-ulimate male!

S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
PS- The way I described lets non-FB members to see your albums/pics. Otherwise they will get a FB Register page.

I think... :?

smrich

Arachnopeon
Hey, smrich! The link doesn't work. Sign into your FB account, and go to your pic albums. Select the album with the pics you want us to see. At the bottom of that page you will see

Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:

with an address under this. This can be posted here for members to see your pics.

OR:

If you only want to share a few pics from an album, click on each pic and under it you will find the same.

Hope to see the pics soon! Congrats on your post-ulimate male!

S.
Thanks! Much easier then dealing with photobucket