Strange Rosea Behavior

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Ok guys, I know that G. Roseas are awkward T's...never failing to keep us on our toes wondering why they do some of the things they do..well lately one of my three has had me wondering. It (and I say it because I recently acquired this one and it hasnt moulted in my presence yet) is keeping half of its legs folded under it, and the other half resting normally. I noticed it sitting this way two days ago. If I touch it, it gets up and moves away, the re~rests in this position shortly after. Anyone know what would cause it to just tuck half of its legs under? It hasnt eaten in about 3 weeks (which I know isnt abnormal), but is drinking a good amount of water. Ive attached a few pics..sorry the quality isnt great.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks to me like it's cleaning itself. When a T cleans itself they get in some pretty funky positions. Sometimes it's different legs. If it's got it's legs folded under and it's moving it's fangs and pedipalps a lot and sticking it's legs near it's mouth then it's cleaning.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
Looks to me like it's cleaning itself. When a T cleans itself they get in some pretty funky positions. Sometimes it's different legs. If it's got it's legs folded under and it's moving it's fangs and pedipalps a lot and sticking it's legs near it's mouth then it's cleaning.
Good suggestion Chris, I originally thought this same thing, but it isnt moving any of its pedipalps or fangs, it is just kind of hanging out..laying still, unless I check on it, then it moves to the other side and repositions itself with half its legs folded under.

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Well......awkward!!!
No one has answers to the g.rosea
Let her do what she wants i'm sure she's fine.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well......awkward!!!
No one has answers to the g.rosea
Let her do what she wants i'm sure she's fine.
No one has answers yet, because it is truly odd behavior, plus it had only been half an hour. I for one am waiting for the more experienced keepers to chime in, because it is almost worrisome for half of the legs to be curled under at all times. Please don't tell someone that you are sure that it is fine when you have no idea.

Ten ~ When you say check on it, do you mean that you poke it(and with what), or do you mean that you open the lid?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
mine has done that

im not experienced in a lot of t's, but i have had my rosea for more than three years. about a year ago, after she molted, she was doing this with a couple of her legs. but that was a year ago, and she is still alive
i wouldnt worry too much
dan

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yep, seen similar posistioning with my female G. rosea. I wouldn't worry about it.. just wait until she starts lifting nearly all those legs into the air instead of curling them under her. They're just.. odd.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah just cleaning! mine will sometimes keep its legs that way after a cleaning but if you knock on the glass she snaps out of it! Mine is a wierd cleaner! I see the back legs rubbing the bottom of her abdomen (quite wildly) and she also does the things with the fangs. And somtimes shell stop with her legs in normal position with her fangs still out. They are funky tarantulas!:D{D But if you notice that it is not really moving alot when you touch it and it dosn't get out of the curl thing, then you should be worried. And when you say you check on it and it walks away and then does it again, does it immediatly go into the position? because thats kind of wierd sounding too.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I stick my hand in there and gently touch its abdomen or legs...then it gets up and scurry's away.
Hmmmm... If the T is acting oddly, perhaps you should stop poking it with your finger. Just a precaution, but I would use a chopstick, or paintbrush to check from now on. Also, don't poke it multiple times a day just to check if it is alive, it will only stress it out. Should it die, it would be in a full death curl. I'm not saying you are doing this, just saying if you are, you might wanna stop.

We have an adult G. rosea and have for a couple of years. We have seen her do many interesting and intriguing things, but never sit for 2 days with half her legs curled under. Draychen says that he has witnessed it, but we have not. It doesn't sound like cleaning to me, because there is no movement of the jaw. It is good that she is drinking well and her abdomen looks fine. I have no clue what it could be, if it is something bad, so I am not trying to worry you. Just offering the only experience I have.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that may be just them doing one of their crazy things? I have 30 Ts now, and not one Rosy! I had one a few years back, and am thinking of getting another. I don't think you can have a great collection without one of these Ts. Its a staple! And their crazy personality is just fun, so long as you have other Ts that actually do things, like web, eat, etc (lol!)

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I really think about this 'strange activity':

I have see my G. rosea do this a few times. It's normally after a mist. She'll try to climb the sides of her cage. Once she realizes that I mist the sides too, so she cant climb, she'll sit like that. My guess is she's trying to keep off the watered ground because it's uncomfortable.

Situation with yours: Similar. I would venture so far as to say she isn't liking those large peices of husk or bark in there. Try replacing it with a nice soft substrate and you'll probably see her acting more... damn.. how do you say normally wierd for a G. rosea? You get my point :p

Personally, I dont think the sub looks bad for many Ts out there. I'm sure it would be fine for most. But rosies are like Divas. If it isn't absolutely 10000000% perfection, they show you one way or another that they're not liking it. Normally it's something crazy even for them.

(Ie, a G. rosea doing a handstand, trying to stay off damp substrate.. or one burrying his water dish because he hates water... or running away from roaches and 'fang-hanging' from the top of their cage until you fish the roaches out..)

Though the funniest thing I have ever seen one of my G. rosea do is;
Flip the water dish over her head like a turtle and walk around with it (I use those worm feeder bowls for water). She did it durring a big going away party where we were all up for nearly 20 hours straight, drinking and gaming.

Strange critters indeed.
PS: I dont think your RCF G. rosea in the split tank, likes it either. She just has some flat rocks to lay on.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm not too sure what to say about the way it's sitting, I have never seen this particular behavior myself. However, you really, really, need to add a bunch more substrate to those enclosures. It needs to be quite a bit deeper to prevent injury from a fall. Also, while rosea aren't typically burrowers, some of them will actually burrow when the substrate allows (mine has a bit of a burrow going, and I know other members who have roseas with elaborate ones.)