Strange markings?

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found these strange black markings on my Pandinus Imperator. I'm a little concerned so please take a look and let me know if you might know what these are. The placed a faint red double circle around the markings.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They almost look like holes, nothing in there that could bite the scorpion? It might have become wedged and slightly dug something into itself.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well all those pieces of wood (not the best substrate) could have punctured a hole or given splinters.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Almost all of the adult emps i have bought from pet stores have these markings. I'm not sure if it is the result of how they are kept in the stores and by the companies that supply the stores. I'm almost convinced that these could be scar tissue resulting from territorial conflicts due to overcrowding.

None of the emps in my care seem to be adversely affected by having these marks on them, but when i first noticed them i was concerned a bit as well. Finally i came to realise that there is little to worry about after i noticed my female developed one where she received a sexual sting during mating.

Anyways hope my little bit of input helps.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Bayushi, your bit makes a lot of sense in my case. I bought it at a local pet store and the scarring from fighting is most likely the reason.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might also want to put your imperator on peat or something similar as bark doesn't hold a burrow well.

Mike

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well all those pieces of wood (not the best substrate) could have punctured a hole or given splinters.
Yea i've been meaning to change to cocoa fibre. Pet store guy said the wood chips would be ok. Last time I take advice from that guy.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have taken some interesting notes in the past regarding this guys.

Although it doesn't pertain exactly to those spots, it sheds some light about how the membrane can be sensitive to enviromental factors.

I have a female in a 2.5 gallon breeder, which unfortunately has an all glass top. Although I remove the top to get rid of excess moisture on a regular basis, I found that if I didn't dap out some of the water from the soil surface weekly, the glass top keeps the enclosure entirely too moist, due to water overflows and no ventilation. At one point the soil became so saturated that I could almost deem it unhealthy. What happened was the pluerl membrane absorbed this water as it was basically living in a swamp. The membrane changed appearance and texture, including becomming stained from the color of the peat moss. When I noticed this I concluded that this must be from the excess water, so I started taking measures to reverse this out of curiosity of what was going on. As a side note, I mated this gal in Sept., so if by then she doesn't partuate, I'm doing the same thing again on a controlled basis rather than incidentally. Since then, the pluerl has cleared up and some. The areas immeditaly below the exoskelton on the dorsal side has cleared and immediately above the exo on the venral side also, with the middle remaining stained. I will continue this later after reviewing everything id anyone pleases, but I will defiently try to get a picture.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poor quality, but this scorpion is extremely aggressive. She kept pulling herself up backwards and was violently triying to sting and claw the hemostats, so I had to adjust to her behind upside down basically. The bottown has cleared nicely but the middle still has some work to do.