Strange little spot on jumping spider

aphonopelmapaloma

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I am a beginner in this hobby and this is my first post. I do hope I did it correctly by putting it in the proper place. If not, I apologize.

I have a male P.regius regal jumping spider. I purchased him from a breeder 4 months ago. I named him Andy. He is the only jumping spider I care for. When I first received Andy, I noticed a tiny white circle over one of his eyes.At first I thought this was patterning since it looked similar to the white patterning around his body. When temps began to drop (I live in Los Angeles) he made himself a web burrito at the top of his enclosure. He stayed in there for some weeks. I didn’t see him for almost a month, but I knew he was fine through little movements here and there and changing positions inside his burrito. I didn’t bother him and from time to time, I’d check if he wanted to eat. At that time, he didn’t. After that, temps dropped more so I began using a space heater and noticed he would come out of his hiding place. When I finally noticed this, I decided to check in on him and see if he was hungry. He definitely was, and thirsty as well. I let him explore outside his enclosure from time to time by me handling him. Before I do. I always wash my hands (and after). When I handled him I noticed that little white circle over his eye had grown, well, more like spread a bit more on the top of his cephalothorax. However, he has been totally fine. He eats, he’s active when it is slightly warmer and theirs light out and will explore his enclosure then go into his web burrito for days to a couple of weeks. I’ve handled him a couple of days ago to take pictures. He ate and I also saw him drink the mist from his enclosure. He seems normal to me. What do you think this spot could be? Is it a fungus? Can I clean/ remove it somehow? It has not spread further since I noticed it spread from the little white circle. I’ll attach some pics. If you’d like more info, I’d be more than happy to provide more if needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hard to say what that is. I wouldn’t attempt to clean him. Great colors!

I would contact the breeder though.

I would monitor, he eats and such so that is good.

Fungus can be white. But fungus feeds off of dead organic material. So it’s likely not fungus IMO.

aphonopelmapaloma

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I have attempted to contact the breeder since purchasing (at first for other reasons) but still no response.

MrNrdy

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I am a beginner in this hobby and this is my first post. I do hope I did it correctly by putting it in the proper place. If not, I apologize.

I have a male P.regius regal jumping spider. I purchased him from a breeder 4 months ago. I named him Andy. He is the only jumping spider I care for. When I first received Andy, I noticed a tiny white circle over one of his eyes.At first I thought this was patterning since it looked similar to the white patterning around his body. When temps began to drop (I live in Los Angeles) he made himself a web burrito at the top of his enclosure. He stayed in there for some weeks. I didn’t see him for almost a month, but I knew he was fine through little movements here and there and changing positions inside his burrito. I didn’t bother him and from time to time, I’d check if he wanted to eat. At that time, he didn’t. After that, temps dropped more so I began using a space heater and noticed he would come out of his hiding place. When I finally noticed this, I decided to check in on him and see if he was hungry. He definitely was, and thirsty as well. I let him explore outside his enclosure from time to time by me handling him. Before I do. I always wash my hands (and after). When I handled him I noticed that little white circle over his eye had grown, well, more like spread a bit more on the top of his cephalothorax. However, he has been totally fine. He eats, he’s active when it is slightly warmer and theirs light out and will explore his enclosure then go into his web burrito for days to a couple of weeks. I’ve handled him a couple of days ago to take pictures. He ate and I also saw him drink the mist from his enclosure. He seems normal to me. What do you think this spot could be? Is it a fungus? Can I clean/ remove it somehow? It has not spread further since I noticed it spread from the little white circle. I’ll attach some pics. If you’d like more info, I’d be more than happy to provide more if needed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I wonder if that is just a small piece from last molt?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
But fungus feeds off of dead organic material
Well techincally that is only Saprotrophs....:wacky: there are mutualists/symbiotists, and parasitic fungi as well. But one that would attack a species of jumping spider would be highly specialized and unlikely especially in a CB specimen. I think i only have heard of one T-fungi.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
If it were my spider, I would wait for the next molt without manipulating it. Whatever it is, as an optimist I would assume that the spook is over by then. Ultimately, you can't do anything.

aphonopelmapaloma

Arachnopeon
Well techincally that is only Saprotrophs....:wacky: there are mutualists/symbiotists, and parasitic fungi as well. But one that would attack a species of jumping spider would be highly specialized and unlikely especially in a CB specimen. I think i only have heard of one T-fungi.
If it were my spider, I would wait for the next molt without manipulating it. Whatever it is, as an optimist I would assume that the spook is over by then. Ultimately, you can't do anything.
Thank you for the info! I'll definitely keep an eye on it for sure. Other than that, his behavior is normal. He eats, hunts, drinks. Normal jumper spider things...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Just don´t manipulate. If it is a piece of old molt, it is not a problem. Also it will molt soon...

8 legged

Arachnoprince
How can you tell he will molt soon?
Jumping spiders live at most 2 years, more like 1.5... Your animal does not yet have the coloring of an adult animal, I guess it is no more than 6 to 10 months old. The animal does not have much time to molt, so it has to molt soon.