Strange "line" in purpurea underside

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Strange "scar" in purpurea underside

Hi, today I got this pic from my A. purpurea. As you can see, there is some kind of mark going from her booklung to the spinnerets (although it doesn't reach them). I don't know what is that, but I'd listen to opinions. It looks like an old injury to me, but who knows :? .

There is no visible hemolymph, so I think it's just a scar. I don't know how long has it been there, because she has been in her nest for a few months, getting out just to take a cricket (and she is fast doing it). My only concern are the chances of that being mold, but I don't think so...

I'd like to know if it's female....

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have seen some of my new worlders develop a like, nap to their setae.

er... more like when a cat has shed fur still on it's attached fur, i guess

looks kinda like that to me. can you manipulate it, at all?

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's been sweet to me today, but she's too small to take her with my fingers, so I'd say I better don't try it. Do you need more pics???

It looks like she has no hair there, not even the short hair that covers her underside.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
more pics from different angles, possibly with no glass in the way always could show something new or significant.

what about tickling her belly with a VERY soft brush? although, if you say you can't see any hair on it that would make me think it is not a ridge of loose setae.

it could be she had some slight difficulty in her last molt and that is the result.

oh, and as far as sexing, i would say 55% male and 45% female would be my guess. i don't see a hardened epigastic furrow and i do think i see a hint of the epiandrous fusilae... but i would want better pics for ventral sexing to make any more of a guess than that

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can touch her with my fingers to make her (and I'll say "her" until someone tells me it's 90% male :wall: ) move, what I can't to is pick her up.

Here is another shot, but I don't know how will I get a ventral shot without glass and without picking her up. Bear in mind mi camera has a decent macro but that's all (if you want to see the original pic, 2048x1536, the URL is at the bottom of this post)

Full resolution:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9005/ventral2048kr6.jpg

EDIT: It seems like I can't put there any pic with that resolution, but resizing to 2046 did the trick :p

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Read again, they resized it to 800x600, but I've changed it to 2046

BTW, you are helping a lot. Thanks!!

JCola

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
could it be a little bit of poo stuck to her underside that she hasn't groomed off? or perhaps the cuticle is just slightly deformed in that spot? i'd be curious to see if it's still there after a molt or two. good luck, i'm sure she'll be fine.