Strange imperator behavior....

Avery

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything...
I bought an Emperor scorpion around a week ago, and havn't seen him since he dug under his log.... I've kept the temperature around 80-82F during the day, and it usually goes down to around 75F at night... I keep the humidity fairly high too, but I don't have anything to read the actual level.

Last night I came home, and the scorpion had blocked off the entrance to his/her burrow... I also don't think he/she's eaten anything since I got the scorpion.

Could the scorpion be molting, or even pregnant??? I don't really have any ideas, maybe you guys could help!

Thanks,
Avery

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could be going to molt. Could be going to give birth. Could be that your environment is not humid enough. Could be it wants some privacy...lots of 'could be's'....Good Luck!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything...
I bought an Emperor scorpion around a week ago, and havn't seen him since he dug under his log.... I've kept the temperature around 80-82F during the day, and it usually goes down to around 75F at night... I keep the humidity fairly high too, but I don't have anything to read the actual level.

Last night I came home, and the scorpion had blocked off the entrance to his/her burrow... I also don't think he/she's eaten anything since I got the scorpion.

Could the scorpion be molting, or even pregnant??? I don't really have any ideas, maybe you guys could help!

Thanks,
Avery
I would say the temps and humidity you noted are fine. Maybe not the 75° but its okay. (your humidity is 80 - 90 if you have condensation on the glass in a closed tank environment IME)

Mine have done exactly as yours have, buried themselves. You can clear the entrance with a spoon if you want (make sure not to hit your scorp thought) or just leave it alone. Not eating! Not a problem! they can go MONTHS without if they so choose (longest mine refused food 3.5 Mos)

hope this helps a little

Thaedion

Last edited:

Avery

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks so much... that makes me feel a lot better!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks so much... that makes me feel a lot better!
yea they like to hide alot and sometimes will for long periods of time. The not eating part could be a oncoming molt. If so, after it molts just keep it well fed and it will be more active at night.