Strange eating patterns?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My Ts have gone on a feeding frenzy. I don't understand. My smithi never ate more than once a week, and has now eaten 2 large cricks and 3 super worms in the last 2 days. My seemanni has taken 6 cricks today, 4 yesterday, and 2 the day before that! Anyone have weird feeding bursts? The temp's been up, could that have sped their metabolic rate up to that degree??

N.

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
well, are they slings???????? if not they might be bulcking up for a molt in a while. Or they just might be plain ol' hungry. For the temp thing, i dont think it matters. Ive changed the temp in my tanks and there eating habbits dont change. OR mybe there just not eating and just killing there prey..

but then again im stupid....

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm sorry, that was directed at someone with experience. Next time I'll be more specific...

N.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

IME mine has bolted up in feeding frequence just after molt, I mean my Green Bottle Blue turns into a eating monster.

Then I have a couple that "fall" outside of this pattern, my Pulchra, well,, there's just no "bottom" in that T:D, prior or after molt. Same with my big Chaco, she's on "weightwatchers" right now:)

I have also read that warmer makes them speed up metabolism and eat more, make sense.

In my case all my T's is eating machines just after molt, I mean I could probably feed them 24/7, and slow down towards new molt, with a couple of exceptions:)

So strange eating patterns probably comes with some of the individual T's "personality" IMHO.:)

Kenny

Last edited:

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: Hi

Originally posted by Kenny
I have also read that warmer makes them speed up metabolism and eat more, make sense.
That must be it. I just got the heaters about 2 weeks ago, and hadn't tried feeding them again until Friday night, since my smithi only ate once a week. That's when it all started...

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Or it could be that it is stacking up nutrition for a molt.
I can't speak for the seemanni, as I just got her, but I do know for a fact that the smithi molted 2 weeks before I got her (12/27) because I saw a piece of the shed in the tank when I took it home. She's about 4.5 in., so I'm pretty shure she's not due for a molt for some time.

N.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That changes it then, doesn't it, assuming that that piece of shed hadn't been there forever.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
That changes it then, doesn't it, assuming that that piece of shed hadn't been there forever.
It had been confirmed that it was 2 weeks prior. I doubt that all the employees were in collusion against me:D

N.