Strange eating habits

BonnieBeans

Arachnopeon
My GBB is a fantastic eater but he won't finish these damned crickets! He would rather eat half of 4 crickets; leaving their mangled parts for me to clean up. Roaches-cleans his plate. Mealworms-gone. Crickets-he acts like Goldilocks, too crunchy, too whatever.... weird crawlie!

Tarantulas are so strange sometimes!

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Sometimes my Tapinauchenius Violaceus
kills crickets, and hangs them from the roof of her enclosure :eek:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My GBB is a fantastic eater but he won't finish these damned crickets! He would rather eat half of 4 crickets; leaving their mangled parts for me to clean up. Roaches-cleans his plate. Mealworms-gone. Crickets-he acts like Goldilocks, too crunchy, too whatever.... weird crawlie!

Tarantulas are so strange sometimes!
I would feed him just one at the time and see how he does.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I feed my gbb one at a time and it seems that he/she will eat the first few and leave boli laying around. Once it starts getting full is will take it but only eat half and leave the rest. If I feed it again it'll take another one and eat half. What a glutton, it just can't turn down a meal :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Your likely feeding it too much. A lot of the time when a T is full it'll still kill the prey item without eating it. In the confined space of an enclosure they don't want a lot of prey running about. I normally only feed one prey item of the right size per feeding and that works out pretty good.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I rarely feed more than one prey item. If it is taken and devoured, i'll just drop another in the next day, depending on the size of the spider and on which molting phase it is in.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My boy does this right before going into premolt. Sometimes he hordes the half-eaten carcasses. If I try feeding him while in pre-molt, he will kill the cricket and dump it by his water dish for me to clean.

BonnieBeans

Arachnopeon
I would feed him just one at the time and see how he does.
It has never mattered with him. He usually gets one appropriately sized meal two times weekly and has never finished a single cricket (when they're on the menu). I started tossing in a few extra cause I was worried he wasn't getting enough.

He's just a little shit! I think he's just finicky and would rather have dubias.

In my nearly 20 years of T keeping, I've never experienced anything like him.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My boy does this right before going into premolt. Sometimes he hordes the half-eaten carcasses. If I try feeding him while in pre-molt, he will kill the cricket and dump it by his water dish for me to clean.
My suspect female juvie A. geniculata is super weird and/or the tarantula version of a serial killer. When she's going into premolt and I try to feed her before I can tell so, she usually will kill the cricket and literally pick it up and walk around her enclosure for a while with the dead body in her fangs and eventually just put it down and go back to chilling.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My genic does a similar thing in premolt. She will kill the prey and simply carry out of her hide and drop in either in her water dish.... or at the entrance of her hide. I perfer not in her water dish for obvious reasons but she has done far worse to the water dish...

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My genic does a similar thing in premolt. She will kill the prey and simply carry out of her hide and drop in either in her water dish.... or at the entrance of her hide. I perfer not in her water dish for obvious reasons but she has done far worse to the water dish...
Yeah mine just wanders around her enclosure with it for a while. Like she's saying to any crickets in the immediate vicinity "See this? This is what will happen to your ass if you bother me now. I am in the mood to take precisely none of your **** at the moment. You've been warned."