Strange Chilean rose behavior

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
788
I know rosies are supposed to be a little weird, but I think mine has gone loony. I don't know what she's trying ot do. I checked on her this morning and she was in the process of making some sort of dirt bowl looking depression in her substrate. Is this a normal weird rosie thing or has mine lost it? She left the spot only for a drink and completely ignored the cricket I gave her this morning, though she doesn't need any crickets as fat as she is. I'm just curious as to why you all think she may be doing this. I'm not worried about it, just wondering what she's up to.
 

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,488
I don't know Pate but Moonbeam has webbed down a small white smooth pebble and is stinding over it giving me the fang every time I put my hand in her tank.
It IS a pebble. Maybe a 3/4 inch in length by half that, oblong and smooth. It was one of the little stones in her water dish.

Pet rock?

Rosies are freaking wierd. LOL.

Maybe someone can guide us both to a good T counseler....
 

Infinity

Arachnopeon
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
33
Has your rosea ever been mated? That almost sounds like egg-sac making behavior...
 

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
788
She hasn't mated since I've had her, but I've had her a little over a month now. She is wild caught and hasn't been fed for a week. You can't tell it though.
 

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
320
Originally posted by Nixy
I don't know Pate but Moonbeam has webbed down a small white smooth pebble and is stinding over it giving me the fang every time I put my hand in her tank.
It IS a pebble. Maybe a 3/4 inch in length by half that, oblong and smooth. It was one of the little stones in her water dish.

Pet rock?

Rosies are freaking wierd. LOL.

Maybe someone can guide us both to a good T counseler....
Sure it isn't crack cocaine?
 

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
1,941
Originally posted by pategirl
She hasn't mated since I've had her, but I've had her a little over a month now. She is wild caught and hasn't been fed for a week. You can't tell it though.
If that T starts laying web in that bowl shaped depression, you can be pretty sure that she'll be laying eggs into that same depression very shortly afterwards. Especially if she's never molted in your care before...

Scott
 

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,488
Oooooooo,,, maybe eggs. :)

Congrates in advance Pate. I hope that's what it is for ya!

Ours have never been bred in our care or seen a male in our care. I have had both rosies since Dec.

So I guess she's just demented.

The proud mother of a bouncing baby rock. :rolleyes:

But she is eating good. She snatched up two crickets today.

She didn't leave her rock to do it, but grabbed them when they got close.
 

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
788
If that is the case, is there anything I need to do or that I don't need to do? Does she need any extra heat or anything?
 

Infinity

Arachnopeon
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
33
Originally posted by mrderanged
If that T starts laying web in that bowl shaped depression, you can be pretty sure that she'll be laying eggs into that same depression very shortly afterwards. Especially if she's never molted in your care before...

Scott
I agree... We mated our roses in the winter of 2001, and didn't get egg sacs until late 2002.
 
Last edited:

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 14, 2003
Messages
778
a question

Off topic but would anyone around me/calif want to mate a mature male rosey i havent done it yet,maybe i should try but if anyone is close that has a mature female that would be cool id be interested i dont want mr.bigglesworth to die off without doing what he was intended to do..thanks-jasonp.s also i dont have any mature females around here i did look!
 
Top