Strange boehmei behavior

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My subadult B boehmei (Looloo) has this one particular (fake) plant she loves to dig up and move around her enclosure. This usually results in it being dropped in her water dish - I remove it, replant it, she digs it up, moves it around, and so on.

Well the most recent time I've replanted it (three weeks to a month ago), I positioned it a little deeper in her substrate than I normally do and she can no longer move it. She's buried the base of it in substrate...but now will not move from the corner of her enclosure that has the plant in it. She's never been big on using her hide, I've never seen her drink, and overall (aside from her nonsense with the plant) she's never really been terribly active, but lately she does absolutely nothing. I will see her facing different directions but she likes to sit with one foot on one of the leaves and that's literally it. She hasn't eaten in over a month either, could totally be in premolt but aside from not eating she's not showing any physical signs. Should I be concerned or just chalk it up to her being a weirdo?

Last edited:

Rhyce

Arachnopeon
She's just decorating her home. Sounds like shes in premolt if she hasn't eaten that long. And generally T's seem to slow down and become less active when approaching a molt. You shouldn't be concerned at all many of my T's rip up their decorations, and move them around ... Specifically too their water bowls lol

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Your boehmei is broken. I joke. They seem to be pet rocks when approaching moult. They turn into emilia aha

Paiige

Arachnobaron
And generally T's seem to slow down and become less active when approaching a molt
This lady hasn't molted in my care yet so I have yet to observe her pre-molt behavior. I figured as much but haven't observed any changes in her abdomen that would indicate she's in premolt...I also suspect she may just be slowing down for winter even though the temperature is pretty much the same.

Your boehmei is broken. I joke. They seem to be pet rocks when approaching moult. They turn into emilia aha
Yes I suspected she was broken :p She's actually less active than my ancient porteri right now :banghead:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Wait til you see those legs :D :D
I can't wait :D She was about a month post-molt when I took her home - I remember taking her out of the store and catching a glimpse of one of her legs in the sunlight and being awe-struck

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think she is telling you to uproot that plant again so she can play around with it.
'you are mean mommy, that was my favourite toy! *pout* '
She is sulking :D

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I think she is telling you to uproot that plant again so she can play around with it.
Definitely this. You took away her happy fun ball.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Definitely this. You took away her happy fun ball.
It would make for a funny experiment. Loose up the plant and see if she goes back to dragging it around. Then put the plant back like it is now and see if she goes into living-rock mode again. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I 100% agree with that :D
I tried feeding her last night and she kicked at me and turned around so her bum was facing the cricket and then kicked at it. Checked her abdomen a little closer and it's definitely darkening and getting shiny. Once she's done molting I'll dig up the plant for her.
I'm definitely curious to see her lay down a molt mat because as far as I'm concerned she's never webbed in her entire life :meh:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
OMG, Paiige. You had me LMAO!!
I currently am in a small skirmish with my G. pulcripes sling and her water dish and her little faux plant. She, too, is having a lot of fun with her toys:rolleyes:. They are adorable, aren't they?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
OMG, Paiige. You had me LMAO!!
I currently am in a small skirmish with my G. pulcripes sling and her water dish and her little faux plant. She, too, is having a lot of fun with her toys:rolleyes:. They are adorable, aren't they?
They are adorable indeed...and considering they're incapable of conscious 'thought,' often quite opinionated, temperamental and childish ;):D

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
My boehmeis (5 of them currently) are all incredibly inactive creatures. My large female is by far the worst. She's literally been chilling on top of her hide for 5 months now. Also I've only ever seen any of those 5 specimens use their hide once and it was literally: walk in, turn around, walk over to water bowl, dump it out. And that was it.

They are very very slow metabolic species and thus don't waste much energy doing much of anything. Except of you disturb them, then it's a kicking spree. By far my worse kickers, no other species I've seen comes close

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My boehmeis (5 of them currently) are all incredibly inactive creatures. My large female is by far the worst. She's literally been chilling on top of her hide for 5 months now. Also I've only ever seen any of those 5 specimens use their hide once and it was literally: walk in, turn around, walk over to water bowl, dump it out. And that was it.

They are very very slow metabolic species and thus don't waste much energy doing much of anything. Except of you disturb them, then it's a kicking spree. By far my worse kickers, no other species I've seen comes close
I didn't expect them to be on the same level as rosea/porteri...she's actually less active than my porteri because the porteri will at least do some webbing every so often. The boehmei literally does nothing except kick when disturbed. She's my only Brachy, are all Bracy like this or just our lazy diva boehmei?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I didn't expect them to be on the same level as rosea/porteri...she's actually less active than my porteri because the porteri will at least do some webbing every so often. The boehmei literally does nothing except kick when disturbed. She's my only Brachy, are all Bracy like this or just our lazy diva boehmei?
No, vagans can be reasonable active, same as albopilosum.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
My Brachypelma species are very skittish generally speaking, except when in premolt :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Good to know. It's like this one doesn't care enough to be skittish...just kicks whenever mildly disturbed to say "hey cut the sh*t" :D