Strange (?) behaviour from new T.Albo adult

jude456

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I'm sure you all get a lot of questions like this but I'm worried about my first tarantula, a tlitocatl albopilosus female. She's about 3-4", I bought her about a week ago and the seller sexed her female. Anyway, the night I got her she was acting normal, wandering around checking out her new house. She rehoused easily with a little gentle coaxing with a paint brush.
Ever since, though, she's crammed herself into the corner without moving. I'm worried about how bunched up she is. I offered super worms a couple times but she just backed away from them so I assume she's just not hungry yet. She has a hide, but hasn't even looked at it. Her enclosure is about 12x6" with 3+" of coir. I gave her a shallow water dish that I overflowed a bit with distilled water.
Is it normal for her to bunch up like that? Is she just adjusting? I'm worried since she hasn't shown any interest in her hide or in burrowing.
Thanks in advance,
- Paranoid new owner

Attachments

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hello everyone, I'm sure you all get a lot of questions like this but I'm worried about my first tarantula, a tlitocatl albopilosus female. She's about 3-4", I bought her about a week ago and the seller sexed her female. Anyway, the night I got her she was acting normal, wandering around checking out her new house. She rehoused easily with a little gentle coaxing with a paint brush.
Ever since, though, she's crammed herself into the corner without moving. I'm worried about how bunched up she is. I offered super worms a couple times but she just backed away from them so I assume she's just not hungry yet. She has a hide, but hasn't even looked at it. Her enclosure is about 12x6" with 3+" of coir. I gave her a shallow water dish that I overflowed a bit with distilled water.
Is it normal for her to bunch up like that? Is she just adjusting? I'm worried since she hasn't shown any interest in her hide or in burrowing.
Thanks in advance,
- Paranoid new owner
Mine is 4 inches DLS and has done this too. Mine also stopped using the hide at 3 inches so completely normal.

I have found that mine once it hit 3.5 inches wouldn't eat as often as my other T's and would go in spurts of a month without eating. It's normal and nothing to worry about.

They like to stay in one place for extended time periods very extended, lol.

Seems like after each molt it wants a new spot to sit in and stare at me, I dunno....😆

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's just stressed. Give her time to adjust. Disturb her as little as possible.
Cute curly. 🙂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Most likely just settling in, if its only been a few days to week (s) or so, 'Adults' take longer to adjust to rehousing before acting normal.

Also can you post an entire photo of the enclosure? I see a hide in there, is it a cup or something that is burried in half or is it buried whole?

jude456

Arachnopeon
Most likely just settling in, if its only been a few days to week (s) or so, 'Adults' take longer to adjust to rehousing before acting normal.

Also can you post an entire photo of the enclosure? I see a hide in there, is it a cup or something that is burried in half or is it buried whole?
I'm waiting for the store to restock a more natural looking hide, right now I'm using an opaque tupperware cut in half with the open side down. I didn't want to use a whole one in case she wanted to bury beneath it

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I didn't want to use a whole one in case she wanted to bury beneath it
Okay good, that was the right thing to do!! Thats what I was making sure you did!! Good job!

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I've had mine for nearly two years now and he's been in his current enclosure for at least 18 months and still does this from time to time. He'll just be all curled up in what looks to be the most uncomfortable position between the water dish and the wall. I've seen him looking like that so much now that I've stopped wondering if he's OK. He's just being a weirdo.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Any time in the future you do a rehouse there's gonna be a period of time that it takes for the tarantula to settle in

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks in advance,
- Paranoid new owner
I have a AF, raised since sling- it never used a hide, rarely burrowed, she lives on top of the hide

All seems fine

rosenkrieger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just here to throw in another vote of "sometimes they just do that" Mine stays in it's burrow most of the time, but occasionally I'll look over and see it doing the same thing.

Attachments

jude456

Arachnopeon
Just here to throw in another vote of "sometimes they just do that" Mine stays in it's burrow most of the time, but occasionally I'll look over and see it doing the same thing.
Aha that looks exactly how she's been sitting the last few days. She stopped covering her face so I assume she's settling in fine. I'm still getting used to T body language :)

rosenkrieger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aha that looks exactly how she's been sitting the last few days. She stopped covering her face so I assume she's settling in fine. I'm still getting used to T body language :)
I've had mine for a couple months and since it made it's burrow, I either don't see it at all or it'll be out in that spot.