Strange behavior from nhandu coloratovillosus

alexarachnid

Arachnopeon
Usually my n.coloratovillosus (m) likes to stay in his burrow unless he has to get water or get food. Recently he has been walking alllll around the cage. On the sides, on the roof, everywhere. I don't think he is mature yet though because I see no sperm web and I see no tibial hooks. Ideas?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Reaaaaaaally sounds like a mature male but provide what is being asked for to make sure! 👍

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
That is a terribly improper enclosure sadly. Needs to be filled about halfway with substrate.

That is a heavy bodied terrestrial. One fall and its game over. Especially since it's climbing...oh my!

Also no need for the thermometer/hygrometer unless you live in a sauna or the north pole.

Vent top is also a no no.

I see wires. No need for lights or heating pads.

A lot is wrong. Needs fixing.

Sorry "/

alexarachnid

Arachnopeon
That is a terribly improper enclosure sadly. Needs to be filled about halfway with substrate.

That is a heavy bodied terrestrial. One fall and its game over. Especially since it's climbing...oh my!
I know it's pretty bad I made the setup a few years ago when I didnt really know what I was doing... I'll add more substrate and check back in this chat later tonight.

Can you get closer pictures of the tarantula?

Please take this as help:
Your setup is a climbing fall death waiting to happen.
Needs much more substrate. Should be 3/4 filled with substrate for that size tank.

Attachments

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
If I may make a recommendation...

Get a much smaller tank and start over.

Will probably be cheaper and way less time consuming. Plus easier on the little man.

10 gal is fine if you prefer glass or you can get a big sterilite tub for like $7

alexarachnid

Arachnopeon

Also no need for the thermometer/hygrometer unless you live in a sauna or the north pole.

Vent top is also a no no.

I see wires. No need for lights or heating pads.

A lot is wrong. Needs fixing.

Sorry "/
My house is super cold (gets down to 55°F) so I use a space heater when I'm in the room. I use the thermometer to make sure it isn't too cold. I hear ts can get their foot stuck in the vent top so I'll see if I can do sum about that. I have a couple of bricks of substrate so I'll make one and add it to the enclosure. Thank you for your advice 😊.

If I may make a recommendation...

Get a much smaller tank and start over.

Will probably be cheaper and way less time consuming. Plus easier on the little man.

10 gal is fine if you prefer glass or you can get a big sterilite tub for like $7
Hmm okay I'll see what I can do...

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Have you recently watched any star wars films with this tarantula present? Perhaps he thinks those rezin preserved beetles have been put into bug carbonite and thinks he is awaiting the same fate!

In all seriousness, theres some excellent advice thats been given so far that i strongly reccomend following, and commend you for making said changes. I hope you and your T will be happier with this upgraded enclosure!