Strange B.smithi

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I took the lid off the tank of my B.smithi to change the water dish and she was sitting out in the open. I tried to move her gently with a paintbrush to coax her under the bark (she 's quite an hair kicker) but she didnt move.I refilled the dish and still she didnt move.
Then I clicked the lid back in place and she went absolutely nuts running around.
Was she asleep or something? Its strange she wouldnt move when i touched her with the paint brush then went hyper after the lid made a noise.

Chid

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Mine acts just like you described quite often when the lid is closed. Sometimes, she'll sit so still that I can literally move her legs around with a paintbrush, and then when that lid goes on, she goes nuts. I'm thinking it's because the lid (which is glass) is forcng air down when it goes on, somewhat akin to blowing on her (which would illicit the same response) that, or the snap of the lid creates enough shock/vibration through the cage to disturb her.

All in all, I'd say nothing to worry about.

Bill

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I've had that same response too. Some of mine will just sit there but when I snap the lid closed they climb up the sides of the terrarium. I guess I'm not the only one who found it strange that they just kinda sat there while I did what I had to do in their area.=D

najig21

Arachnopeon
That's funny, I was just thinking about this topic tonight, as I had changed the substrate in my A. seemanni's cage and when I put her back in there, she stayed in one sopt and didn't move. So I threw crickets in there, usually they're dead in a few minutes, but she didn't take them. So I touched her leg, and then tried to push her along so I could put the water dish in, but she wouldn't move. When I put the lid back on, she slightly moved, and then I blew on her and she moved a lot. I though it was strange because she's usuallu pretty skittish.