Strange Abdomen Stripe

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
One of my Theraphosa stirmi slings (1-1.5inch) has a shiny, or wet stripe down its abdomen.
I don't see any leaks or anything pulsating, but I really am not sure what it is or what caused it.
The tarantula is behaving normally, and other than the abdomen anomaly, it is no different than my other one.
I am unable to see if the stripe goes to its spinnerets or further. Upon seeing this picture, would anyone suggest I look into this further?
Stirmi.PNG

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
The tarantula is now on its back. Not curled though, so I'm hoping it's molting.
All my slings really are due for a molt soon, so that would be great...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That's pretty strange; I've never seen a picture like that.

The tarantula is now on its back. Not curled though, so I'm hoping it's molting.
Did the abdomen split open during molting? Normally, the tarantula rolls onto its side or back, and the carapace opens around the side (where the legs are).

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
That's pretty strange; I've never seen a picture like that.

Did the abdomen split open during molting? Normally, the tarantula rolls onto its side or back, and the carapace opens around the side (where the legs are).
Yeah, I've legitimately never seen this before.

And no, it did not happen during molting to my knowledge. Before I even touched the enclosure, I could see the tarantula's legs at the mouth of the hide like usual. I dropped a cricket in, and the tarantula basically swatted it away, so I took the cricket out. I looked back into the hide, and I saw its abdomen.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The abdomen looks wet, which indicates haemolymph leaking - I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen anything like that before, has the spider moulted yet, is it still on its back, does it look better or worse, could you post a better picture from above so we can see the full extent of the problem, an update ASAP please.......

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
All you can do now is wait if it molts out. my guess would be that the new exoskeleton split underneath the old one and hemolymph soaked through the old one. This case would probably mean death of the spider. I hope it pulls through! best of luck.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Yeah, it doesn't look like a good situation. But maybe it'll be fine! Keep us posted on this. If it successfully molts, I'd be interested to see what the molt looks like on the inside.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
The abdomen looks wet, which indicates haemolymph leaking - I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen anything like that before, has the spider moulted yet, is it still on its back, does it look better or worse, could you post a better picture from above so we can see the full extent of the problem, an update ASAP please.......
I'm afraid of that. I won't be able to get a better picture until the morning, I'm sure. I'd have to open the enclosure for a clear photo, and I don't want to disturb it. I can see alright through the plastic with a flashlight, it is still on its back, and the tarantula has made considerable progress from my last post. I can see that it is moving, and I believe it has popped the carapace. I am confident that it will make it though. One can only hope.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm afraid of that. I won't be able to get a better picture until the morning, I'm sure. I'd have to open the enclosure for a clear photo, and I don't want to disturb it. I can see alright through the plastic with a flashlight, it is still on its back, and the tarantula has made considerable progress from my last post. I can see that it is moving, and I believe it has popped the carapace. I am confident that it will make it though. One can only hope.
Keep us posted on how he/she's getting on, once she's finished moulting post an up - date, hope he/she makes it....

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
IMG_20170524_213524259.jpg Oh yes! The tarantula is free, ladies and gentlemen. Now I wait to see how it recovers.

Attached is the clearest photo I had taken before the tarantula flipped, I hope it provides a sufficient view.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Thank you for your support, everyone. From what I can tell, this has been the best outcome possible so far in this strange situation.
I will provide a visual update upon my morning inspection ;)

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
If it's still intact, it might be interesting to examine the exuviae where that stripe is.
Definitely, I'm curious to see if it was in fact a tear. I'll do my best at photographing the molt. I believe this tarantula is worthy of a name upon its survival. Pretty crazy stuff.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Due a moult. Outer exoskeleton split exposing the exo that is forming underneath. Hopefully it will molt and be fine after the process

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
The molt was a success, the abdomen is fine.
But the abdomen on the exuviae is destroyed, so there's not much to see.

Seems to have just about doubled in size.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Im very happy to see everything went well and your T is ok now.....that was the weirdest looking skunk i have ever seen...:astronaut:

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The molt was a success, the abdomen is fine.
But the abdomen on the exuviae is destroyed, so there's not much to see.

Seems to have just about doubled in size.
Brilliant news, bet your on cloud nine, so glad he made it through to the end of the moult......