Strange Abdomen Stripe

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That is very interesting indeed buddy. I have raised my T.stirmi from a sling 7 years ago and I have never seen anything like that before. Enjoy your stirmi, I sure do love my large lady. Do you have any of the other theraposas or just the stirmi bro?

Attachments

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
That is very interesting indeed buddy. I have raised my T.stirmi from a sling 7 years ago and I have never seen anything like that before. Enjoy your stirmi, I sure do love my large lady. Do you have any of the other theraposas or just the stirmi bro?
That's awesome. She looks great, man.
I've only got the two stirmi slings. I had thought about getting a couple T.blondi but figured I should start with stirmi.
Do you have other Theraphosa species?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
That's awesome. She looks great, man.
I've only got the two stirmi slings. I had thought about getting a couple T.blondi but figured I should start with stirmi.
Do you have other Theraphosa species?
Thank you buddy. To be honest when I got her 7 years ago she was labeled Goliath bird eater so I assumed it was a blondi. A few years ago a friend of mine said I didn't own a blondi and I actually have a stirmi. I was blown away. I found out there are 3 species in the theraposas genus. I have the stirmi and the apophysis. To this day I have not seen a true t.blondi for sale. The day I do I will buy it with out a doubt. I am all about the theraposas.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'm glad everything is ok. That was the wildest thing I think I've seen. I want to say, but refrained out of respect of your feelings until you said it's all good, that the stripe is cool. If that could only become a hereditary thing. A racing strip on a tarantula. That I would pay for. Again, strange, but I'm glad it worked out.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Thank you buddy. To be honest when I got her 7 years ago she was labeled Goliath bird eater so I assumed it was a blondi. A few years ago a friend of mine said I didn't own a blondi and I actually have a stirmi. I was blown away. I found out there are 3 species in the theraposas genus. I have the stirmi and the apophysis. To this day I have not seen a true t.blondi for sale. The day I do I will buy it with out a doubt. I am all about the theraposas.
I have heard that's happened to a lot of people. Man, I would love to have an apophysis, but I can't let myself spend that much money on one spider yet. Some day, though. And same here with the Theraphosa, the blondi is the first image I get when I hear the word tarantula.
Check this website out if you haven't seen it yet. At the bottom of the page there is a picture that has good information on identifying Theraphosa species. It will definitely help me when I look for a blondi someday.
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/theraphosa-stirmi/

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I'm glad everything is ok. That was the wildest thing I think I've seen. I want to say, but refrained out of respect of your feelings until you said it's all good, that the stripe is cool. If that could only become a hereditary thing. A racing strip on a tarantula. That I would pay for. Again, strange, but I'm glad it worked out.
I was seriously thinking the same thing. When I checked the abdomen this morning, I was kinda wishing that the stripe would be there somehow. It would have been super cool to have a Theraphosa with a stripe like a redback spider (Latrodectus hasseltii)

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have heard that's happened to a lot of people. Man, I would love to have an apophysis, but I can't let myself spend that much money on one spider yet. Some day, though. And same here with the Theraphosa, the blondi is the first image I get when I hear the word tarantula.
Check this website out if you haven't seen it yet. At the bottom of the page there is a picture that has good information on identifying Theraphosa species. It will definitely help me when I look for a blondi someday.
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/theraphosa-stirmi/
Thank you for the link. I can tell the difference now since I found out. The blondi in my opinion is the best looking one of the bunch for sure. I agree with you on the price. I paid 120$ for mine so I know where your coming from on not wanting to spend that much or even close to that on a tarantula. When you do finally get the apophysis you will love it and the price paid won't even matter at that point. Until then just enjoy your stirmis bud.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It looks to me like the old exoskeleton split right down the abdomen exposing the new one underneath, the closest thing to that I've seen was when my LP looked like she was leaking a small amount of clear fluid from the abdomen (it was like 2 tiny pinprick holes) just prior to her second moult in my care, she literally looked like she'd pop at any minute but she moulted OK in the end and there were no other issues.

Glad to see it moulted OK.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I noticed that the tarantula's right pedipalp is gimpy, so I looked at older pictures of it, and saw that it was shipped to me missing that limb.

:banghead: I can't believe I never noticed that!

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if missing a limb could cause tarantulas to molt sooner.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if missing a limb could cause tarantulas to molt sooner.
I don't know about missing limbs, but there are some traumas that seem to accelerate the molting cycle. (Still, there is some absolute minimum amount of time that it takes for the new exoskeleton to develop.)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yay for the happy ending re: rump split. I looked at that pix and didn't feel too optimistic. My fear was leaking hemolymph and that it might make for a too-dry moult. Which may not even be possible, just my own mind's imagining of what might go wrong for a T leaking prior to moult. Anyway, glad to be wrong!!!

I hope this is the beginning of a long happy life for your T. Name him Pepé le Pew or something. lol

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I'm really sorry to revive this old thread but i just found my 1.5" stirmi with this stripe as well. So after reading this thread I shouldn't have to worry right?

Edit: Yep it molted just fine, what a rare sight to see. Must be a stirmi thing.

Last edited:

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
I'm really sorry to revive this old thread but i just found my 1.5" stirmi with this stripe as well. So after reading this thread I shouldn't have to worry right?

Edit: Yep it molted just fine, what a rare sight to see. Must be a stirmi thing.
Glad to see that it worked out fine. Truly a spooky experience!