User Storm76's picture thread

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So, since "Medeia" my huge Acanthoscurria geniculata female molted again, I figured I'd put these up for the time being. Pictures of the T will follow in a week or so. I'd like to give her time to rest before I bother her with a photo session.

So much for size: ~8" is correct after all!

All the molts I have of her since I got her in March 2012 (minus one that she munched on at ~4" size), but from left to right: ~8" - ~7" - ~6" - ~5.25" - ~4.5" - ~2.25"

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wowza! So your A.genic is likely at the 8.5-9" mark now? Can't wait for the pics :)
I don't think she grew a lot honestly. This species usually maxes out around 8" and that's already really big. Most I see being kept are somewhere between 7-8 really. But I'll see if I can get a measurement of her when she's back to her old self :D

You will buy a Goddess one day, man? :)
Perhaps...one day! :D

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A few new pictures...

"Hera", Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~6" female - still rather hides than fight, although will retaliate immediately if you happen to prod her (for getting her out of the way to refill waterdish i.e.)

This is what her cage looks nowadays. Waterdish in the bottom left corner under all the webbing...amazing webcastle, right? :)

"Stripes", Poecilotheria miranda, ~5" female - and hopefully gravid even...we shall see :)

"Stripes", Poecilotheria miranda, ~5" female - she's been cohabbing with the MM for 3 months with no problems at all. They even "shared" a superworm once! Pretty amazing.

"Medeia", Acanthoscurria geniculata, ~8"+ female - first couple pictures after her latest molt on May 28th this year.

"Medeia", Acanthoscurria geniculata, ~8"+ female - it's funny, during the night she keeps stretching out, while during the day she sits huddled up the glass to enjoy the warmth coming in from the few rays of sun warming a part of her enclosure

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A lot has happened this year that saddens me immensely. Not only did I loose my beloved A. geniculata pictured above, but also my P. cambridgei female. Both T's I held very dear and raised from spiderlings to adulthood which makes that even worse. Despite them not giving anything back, some of us grow attached to certain specimens and it's never easy to accept that nature sometimes doesn't allow a living being to live its live to the fullest. The time I had them however, at least I'm sure they had a good life in general without being miskept or mistreated in any way. If at all, I gave them too much food :).

Anyways, it has been a while since I last updated this my picture thread and I feel a bigger update is needed to make up for that. So without more blablab...here we go...

"Medeia", Acanthoscurria geniculata, ~8" female - a week before she just died I had her out to thoroughly check on her from all sides. First time ever she wasn't defensive in the least :(:(

"Medeia", Acanthoscurria geniculata, ~8" female - this I couldn't have done normally at all as she would've ripped my hand off given the chance! But even on this shot you can see there's no visible problem. RIP, big girl. :(

On to more happy subjects...

"1of4", Euathlus sp. "red", ~2.25" female - "First cricket? Holy Henna...gimme!"

"1of4", Euathlus sp. "red", ~2.25" female - ...the very same T the next day. Perhaps that cricket was a bit much? *cough*

"2of4" Euathlus sp. "red", ~2.25" female - close-up shot of this girl

"3of4" & "2of4", Euathlus sp. "red" females - just a brief pic of their both enclosures.

"Aurora", Avicularia minatrix, ~2.75" female - the most you see of her usually :)

"Aurora", Avicularia minatrix, ~2.75" female - she molted a couple weeks ago, so I lured her out with a cricket :D

"Kyla", Avicularia sp. "Amazonica" (Manaus), ~5" female - extra for you Michael, the upcoming three pics of her. She's growing nicely still. Bit too much flash in this one, sry.

"Kyla", Avicularia sp. "Amazonica" (Manaus), ~5" female - this one's better. She's enjoying a couple crickets and doing the happy-dance :)

"Kyla", Avicularia sp. "Amazonica" (Manaus), ~5" female - ...as can be seen here with the leg of the cricket ripped straight off it. Fatality!

"Takhisis", Poecilotheria fasciata, ~6.5" female - she's in premolt, made her hideout to the right of the pic and this was all I could get in terms of pictures for the time being. Pretty girl, though!

"Takhisis", Poecilotheria fasciata, ~6.5" female - this one's from a few days ago, she's a bit photo-shy :)

"Adena", Brachypelma smithi, ~5" female - this girl was upgraded to Medeias old enclosure to have more space to roam around

"Adena", Brachypelma smithi, ~5" female - she'll grow into it in time, unless I get a certain Acanthoscurria spp that I have laid my eyes upon...but we shall see :)

"Kamala", Brachypelma auratum, ~5.5" female - this girl molted a week ago - stunning colors again, right?!

"Kenno", Brachypelma boehmei, ~5" male - this boy was since rehoused into something triple as large since he grew excessively that last molt - not mature yet though!

"Hera", Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~6" female - I really need to get her waterdish out and exchange it altogether, but trying today she went into a rage and I figured I'd try another time. She's in premolt currently anyways...

Noname, Euathlus sp. "blue femur", ~1.5" female - this girl grows sooooo slowly. Got her when she was 0.25" and now after nearly 3 years it's just 1.5" barely. Very skittish but a good eater for the size!

Noname, Euathlus sp. "blue femur", ~1.5" female - closeup shot

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue" (Peru II), ~5.5" female - this one's for Joyce :)

"Jewel", Homoeomma sp. "blue" (Peru II), ~5.5" female - the girl molted a couple weeks ago, too. Looks lovely again.

"Harlequin", Hapalopus sp. "Colombia large", 2.5"+ female - despite many saying they have problems with their being insanely skittish and often trying to escape when the lid is opened, this girl is pretty calm and never tried to run. Instead, she holds her ground - great eater, too!

"Sparkle", Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB), ~4.25" female - she's in premolt, but still looking great. Got her cage upgraded after my MM Homoeomma sp. "blue" died and has since webbed the cage all over :)

"Nyx", Grammostola pulchripes, ~6" female - this girl is pretty nasty lately not fond of being disturbed. I know she isn't in premolt since she just molted last year, but considering it's a Grammy - moody is her second name :D

"Star", Avicularia versicolor, ~4.25" female - she just molted a couple days ago and this pic is from 2 weeks ago. Pretty girl, but mean :D

Thanks for checking on my thread, as always!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's some shots of "Hera", my Chilobrachys fimbriatus female. After her lost molt she's pushing the 6"+ mark when stretched out - she got huge! Love it!

Saw her out today and fed her, these shots were taken right before :)

"Hera", Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~6"+ female - that carapace...a work of art!

"Hera", Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~6"+ female - beautiful girl...

"Hera", Chilobrachys fimbriatus, ~6"+ female - never regretted getting this when I started to get some OWs she's simply awesome!

Hias

Arachnopeon
:D"Star", Avicularia versicolor, ~4.25" female - she just molted a couple days ago and this pic is from 2 weeks ago. Pretty girl, but mean :D

Thanks for checking on my thread, as always!
Beautyfull Spiders!
Mine is a Star as well :)

Attachments

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This was a very nice thread to look at. Couldn't go through all the pages but the most recent 3 have some great photos. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Beautyfull Spiders!
Mine is a Star as well :)
Uhm...is your male wearing female outfit? Creepy... :D

Heres my Star :)
Nice one! :)

This was a very nice thread to look at. Couldn't go through all the pages but the most recent 3 have some great photos. :)
Thank you. A number of pictures were uploaded to imageshack back when it was free, those are no more available nowadays. Sorry 'bout that. Last 5-10 pages should be alright, though.

"Takhisis", Poecilotheria fasciata, ~6.5" female - she's pretty nasty and goes to bite first, ask questions later :)

"Takhisis", Poecilotheria fasciata, ~6.5" female - but she's definately a looker! Sorry about the glare, glass is kinda dirty. She's a window pooper :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

Some may still remember me, others don't. I've been gone for a long, long time due to RL and while things aren't resolved, I'm going to make an effort and try be more active once again. Obviously, I'm still in the hobby but over the past years I've lost quiet some beloved specimens which ultimately made my collection shrink considerably. What once were ~55 is now barely 20. Sadly, I don't have the financials to stock back up right now (which I'd love to), but patience is a virtue in this hobby, so hopefully...someday.

To make this quick, as it is a sad subject, my calm Psamopoeus irminia lady, "Phaedra", eventually died. Not of unknown reasons either, she simply outlived her existence at roughly ~10 years of age. She ate, she molted and she graced me with her presence every so often so I could marvel at her beauty - and those on here that saw the pictures of her. For her species, Phaedra was one unbelievable calm customer. I can count the threatpostures she gave me in all those years on the fingers of one hand - rehousings included! It made her even more special and while I never tried to handle her (I follow my hands-off rule unless they walk onto me out of their own free will and I don't have a catchcup or tongs next to me), she did end up twice on me. Neither time she threatened, both times she was skittish and more surprised than me I think. And on both occasions she ended up in her cage running along my arm right back into it. It's things like that making this hobby something very special for me. Seing such a graceful, beautiful and calm oddball and having had the pleasure of raising her from the small juvie she was when I got her, has made her unforgettable for me. I know, this sounds odd, but I guess in the end all of us get attached to some of our not-so-ordinary animals we keep, right? Lucky for me, as a Psalm lover, I still have my mean girl "Firali" who hasn't changed a bit either. Secretive, no threshold whatsoever and apparently with the ego of an elephant not scared of anything! But she's fine, eating, molting, doing irminia things. Ah, the joys of keeping normal specimens of this species...I want another couple again though. Any collection that has arboreals should have at least one P. irminia in my humble opinion.

"Phaedra" in 2016, Psalmopoeus irminia AF, ~5" - Rest in peace, beautiful.

A year later, my 6" Grammostola pulchripes "Nyx" died molting. She went into mold fine when I went to bed and the next morning I found her stuck barely having been able to move any leg out of her old skin. Moody as she was, that girl was a beauty and an interesting ambassador of her species. Some days, she'd just casually walk out of her enclosure letting me do maintenance more thoroughly than I had intended those times, while she sat on the bed enjoying the sun shining in through the window and probably the warmth. Other days just opening her enclosure to refill the waterdish made her throw me an immediate threatposture. Perhaps another oddball (I have had and still have quite some actually), but that personality earned her a place among the favorites of my collection. For the most part the literal "petrock" many are, she seldomly hid and was one of the best display tarantulas I had. I'm sad about her loss, especially since while I know there was nothing I could have done, a tiny bit of guilt remains along with the thought "If only I had watched her molt...". Shame, really.

"Nyx" in 2016, Grammostola pulchripes, ~6" AF

To top it all of, 2 years after those two setbacks I faced the next death in my collection - this time, my beautiful, big Poecilotheria fasciata "Takhisis". Not only did I raise her from a sling to her size of approx. ~6.5" at the time of her death, but aside the male P. subfusca I once had, it really was her that taught me how to take care of a Poecie. The male I had raised literally was behaving like an Avic even when I packed him to send him on his breeding journey to a befriended keeper. "Takhisis" though? From day #1 that animal taught me just how much you have to be prepared for anything when working around their cages. Rehousings weren't a problem, but once I had her in her final enclosure she became a demon. Territorial? It almost seemed as if, because she would show up the moment I opened the enclosure - even if she had been hidden for days! Never once did I really have trouble with her, but that animal had my utmost respect! More so than my C. fimbriatus even. As for what happened, that is a mystery to me! Believe it or not, I found her one morning with her abdomen torn off! There were no feeders in the enclosure, no sharp things, nothing that could've caused it - except...for a plastic plant thing hanging from the ceiling that I had seen her try to rip off before and bend it towards her hide to attach it with webbing. When I inspected that damn thing (apologies for my language) I found there was a single, somewhat sharp, elongated piece of plastic hidden near the top behind the fake leafs. But how she managed to literally tear herself apart?! It beats me - entirely! Needless to say, I removed the couple more I had in other enclosures after that accident and tossed the entire bunch into the trash! Won't bring "Takhisis" back, but it's a mistake that I blame myself for not having seen it coming to this day. That beautiful girl didn't deserve to perish and most certainly not in the way she did!

"Takhisis" 2018, Poecilotheria fasciata, ~6.5" AF - Still feel guilty for losing that beautiful T to something entirely avoidable

Beyond that, a few MMs died expectantly, I sent a few Avics off to a befriended breeder for his breeding stock and aside that...yes, well. Those I still have, thrive and grow. But it stings losing the above mentioned animals especially...

Anyways, you probably didn't check up on this thread to read sentimental stuff, but look at some T's, right? So, here's some pictures I took today while feeding. Neither of my Avics, nor my Psalm or my H. spec. "blue" (Peru2) is included, but they were all hidden. Instead...I have some other beauties to show you :)

First up...

"Harlequin", Hapalopus sp. "Columbia Large", female ~4.25" - Carapace shot

"Harlequin", Hapalopus sp. "Columbia Large", female ~4.25" - Top-down view

"Harlequin", Hapalopus sp. "Columbia Large", female ~4.25" - ....and happily nomming on a maelworm during feeding today ;)

0.0.1 You guys remember this little one?

0.1 Euathlus sp. "blue femur", ~1.5" - ...well, she now looks like this starting to show those astonishing blue femurs... ;)

0.1 Euathlus sp. "blue femur" - ~1.5 - I bought them some years ago as tiny slings from the user fraxinus on here and while growing oh so slowy, they are beautiful!

0.1 Euathlus sp. "blue femur", ~ 2" - ...her slightly larger sister even more so since the colors are very vibrant on her freshly molted!

0.1 Euathlus sp. "blue femur" ~2" - Ok, close your mouths guys. Yes, neither of the above nor this pic right here was tempered with (aside resize)- they really look like that!

And here, especially for you @Andrea82 an update on the Homoeomma chilensis (what was formerly known as Euathlus sp. "red/fire") girls ;)

"1of3", ~2.5" female H. chilensis - This one likes to hide waiting for prey to pass by, hehe :D

"1of3", ~2.5" female H. chilensis - ...and comes out when foods offered quickly :p

"2of3", H. chilensis, ~2.5" female - Meanwhile, her sister is out constantly and only hides when she feels like it.

"Kamala", B. auratum, ~5" female - She's fasting. Probably premolt actually. Though her colors are still quite vibrant.

"Adena", B. harmorii, ~5" female - Together with "Phaedra" the first T I ever got. She, too, wasn't interested in food at all.

"Gemma" - Euathlus sp. "blue femur", ~4.5" AF - Can't forget to show what those small girls above will grow in to eventually, right? So skittish this one, but beautiful display T.

Alright, for now that is it. I'll try and get some shots in time again. Thank you to everyone that checks on this thread. Much appreciated!

Best
Jan

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Welcome back to AB!! Sorry for your losses though, it’s always hard to loose long time loved ones :/

But get those Homoeomma and Euathlus spp. breeding we could use them more in the hobby!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cyriopagopus sp. "hati-hati" - suspect female during revamp of her enclosure today. Well behaved, no threats, no bolting. ~3" currently P1050614.JPG

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Great, I currently have 3 slings. As far as I know, the sexes also differ optically - I think the abdomen of the female is more purple. Does the carapace not differ, or am I imagining it?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great, I currently have 3 slings. As far as I know, the sexes also differ optically - I think the abdomen of the female is more purple. Does the carapace not differ, or am I imagining it?
I gotta say...getting the feeling of "can of worms" with this girl. Everyone and their mother over here tells me they are a) sexually dimorphic, b) get 7-8" and c) males have a green carapace while female always display the tan one. I'm trying to find out more currently so we decided to wait for her to molt, then I'll see to get a pic of her rocking the new suit and see.

Aside the fact that my girl is living entirely fossorial without any whatsoever arboreal tendencies -so far-, I am curious how changed (if at all) she'll look after another molt.

Last edited: