Store mislabeled my new T?

Zoso

Arachnopeon
Well, I've had tarantulas for well over a year now and finally joined the board lol I have found a lot of very helpful information here.

Anyways, I was wondering how often others have experienced pet stores mislabeling tarantula species, and if maybe I was over charged for the gorgeous gal I just added to my collection, I love her! However, I can't seem to find much information on prices for adult tarantulas so it's been difficult to dig up much. She was labeled as a Nhandu coloratovillosus but the more I look at her the more I am convinced she is an Acanthoscurria geniculata and so I looked up some images and sure enough, she was mislabeled. She's exactly what I wanted though, so I'm happy! I also have a Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi from the same store that was mislabeled as well. How often does this happen? From the looks of things, about half of the store is dedicated to fish keeping, the other half is birds, small furry critters, tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, lizards, snakes, turtles, and amphibians all crammed together. So it's understandable their knowledge on the inverts is a bit lacking, they told me my male B. albopilosum was a female ... I would also like to know if I was over charged? I paid $150.

Bella1.jpg

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
What is the size of the A. geniculata? and is it a confirmed female? With shipping thrown in for comparison, it would possibly be a decent deal if you dont want to raise slings. A. geniculata slings are cheap even buying 4 to assure a female it would be cheaper than her cost. Bonus you have quick growing slings and spares to trade/sell
Also what was the Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi (now Euathlus sp Blue) originally labeled as?

Zoso

Arachnopeon
She is fully grown, she's huge lol definitely a female.

He was labeled as a thrixopelma pruriens. I've had him over a year and he was in that store for months and I started to feel bad for him, no one was going to buy him. He was small and this very random, uncommon species I could find NO info on, he was a gamble but with time and some adjustments to his enclosure and care he's quite happy now. Funny story, I had to get my car inspected the day I bought him, he was kind of an impulse buy, very much unexpected and ... I couldn't leave him in the car, so he came inside with me in his deli cup. People were freaking out xD

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I believe that's actulally the A. brockelhursti even though it's not recognized as a valid species anymore..IMO genics and brocks are different enough in appearance that they shouldn't be cross bred..

If you snag a pic from the side it will be easier to tell. I need to see the patella.

Either way unless it's a female you kind of got the short end..

Zoso

Arachnopeon
This store doesn't differentiate prices on gender, oddly enough, they are all the same price, which I always found odd. But they always seem to insist the one you're buying is female ... even though my first tarantula had very prominent hooks and was obviously male, I got, "actually, I think it might be a female." I was like "Okay."

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My very first t was sold to me as a confirmed female brachpelma, but in reality it turned out to be a male lasiadora parahybana.

Happens a lot

Zoso

Arachnopeon
I was told the guy I was buying the Curly from that day didn't know much about inverts, he was a "snake guy" xD that can be a problem if you've already got the tank set up for a specific species and come home with something totally different requiring care you are not prepared for. Wish people were a little more knowledgeable.

D Sherlod, it sure does, lovely specimen ya got there :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
$150 for a B. albopilosum is insane. For that price it had better be the size of a hub cap, and CERTAINLY not a male.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yeah, definitely overcharged on the B. albopilosum. To put it in frame of reference, I know somewhere I can buy a 2.1 breeding group of B. albos for literally half that price. Sorry you got overcharged, though it's really a lovely species.

Pet stores are notorious for mislabeling exotic animals (reptiles, inverts, etc.), even if they're using the scientific names. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them with both arms broken :rofl:

Zoso

Arachnopeon
... I never stated how much I paid for my B. albopilosum, this thread is about how much I paid for my "N. coloratovillosus lol which turned out to be what I suspect is actually an A. geniculata. My B. albopilosum, if I remember correctly it's been so long now, was ... $50-60, either $49.99 or $59.99 for a fully grown male.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
... I never stated how much I paid for my B. albopilosum, this thread is about how much I paid for my "N. coloratovillosus lol which turned out to be what I suspect is actually an A. geniculata. My B. albopilosum, if I remember correctly it's been so long now, was ... $50-60, either $49.99 or $59.99 for a fully grown male.
So it's understandable their knowledge on the inverts is a bit lacking, they told me my male B. albopilosum was a female ... I would also like to know if I was over charged? I paid $150.
Sorry bout that, I misread this as you paying $150 for a female B. albo that turned out to be male! My mistake :)

If she was sold as an N. coloratovillosus then I think you got overcharged on that too.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
OHHHH that's much more reasonable. All magic comes with a price, dearie.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A big female geniculata at a pet store, I would pay maybe up to $100. So I would say you overpaid, but whatevs. A big female geniculata is awesome, so if that happened to me I wouldn't be too upset

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Pet shops, hmmm, all I need to hear. They try, sometimes, but unless it's a specialized shop, the knowledge is basic and general. Animals get you in the door, supplies and grooming keep them in business.

Zoso

Arachnopeon
Sorry bout that, I misread this as you paying $150 for a female B. albo that turned out to be male! My mistake :)

If she was sold as an N. coloratovillosus then I think you got overcharged on that too.
Reading back over it I can see how it could have been misinterpreted ;)

Regarding my username, I'm a Zeppelin fan, the quote went over my head lol

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Reading back over it I can see how it could have been misinterpreted ;)

Regarding my username, I'm a Zeppelin fan, the quote went over my head lol
Lol Zoso is the name of a character from Once Upon a Time.

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Zoso,

IMHO, I agree that you got an A. Geniculata from the pet store. 150$ is a bit steep, but not by much. Say $80 for a mature female plus 45$ to ship overnight--$125. If you "saved" her from ignorant pet store personnel, than I would say your good deed was certainly worth the extra $25.
BTW, you have a pretty girl there. Congratulations!