Stoked Beginings From 1 Beginner To The Next

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
So just to catch folks up, I recently acquired 3 slings two days ago as my first Ts. So as a beginner in this hobby even after doing years of research I find myself questioning myself and worrying unnecessarily about everything, lol, I know it's kinda human nature and to be expected so if I worry I just stop myself. For instance, the slings I bought came with two habitats and naturally I knew they were too big but used them anyway, reasoning that I wouldn't have to rehouse as soon. Not happy with the way I decorated them in my excited rush to get them unpacked and housed, I worry maybe if I didn't provide enough anchor points for my GBB or enough sub for the rosehair ect ect. Anyways, I just tell myself to quit worrying and see what they think...GBB has webbed a little, rosehair dug a little and yes it's slightly too big of a house but as I said they will grow into their homes soon enough. I may put another anchor point or two for the GBB and if I can figure a way more sub for the rosehair, anyways...

Another but less aggravating worry, is this a sufficient water dish? Should I mist this substrate? They don't seem to care, my Ts are hardier than I am, I think! I overfilled the water dish slightly and they seem perfectly content

On their second day in their new home I decided to go buy some pinhead crickets but they didn't have any at the store, only small crickets so I got those and as I tried to feed I worried if they were too big or if they wouldn't find em in their too big enclosures or if maybe I should wait another day to let them get settled in....slings are hungry, guys! I didn't wanna wait, I wanted my babies fed..well...Another worry put to rest, all 3 slings fed albeit with a little hesitation.

I'm sure there are more worries to come but now I know how to deal with them thanks to all the years of researching that I did, also I hope y'all read this and understand that these fascinating creatures are natures top of line survivors.

Personally, I chose 1 inch slings and I'm pretty happy with my choice, Idk how I'd feel if I got adults I think all my purchases will be slings forever unless I start breeding later down the road, of course.

One last thing, you can read all the information you want but nothing replaces hands (not literal hands) on experience so if you're putting off buying one or thirteen like I did then you might as well just bite the bullet and go for it.

I've got plans for several more, maybe even venture into breeding in a few years time!

Oh and lastly, it's been a great experience for my relationship with my woman. One of the slings is actually hers and she loves it! So it's brought us closer together, great hobby, truly enjoy it!

This thread was made to celebrate all 3 of my slings first meal in my care which greatly reduced all my anxiety and worries! Little fatties!

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
What size is their current home?

Congrats on the T's :) After a while you'll stop worrying and over thinking. Most T's are not very difficult to look after.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I cant get exact measurements ATM but it's probably almost 3xbigger than it should be but I figure a molt or two will fix that. One sling didn't come with a habitat and I used a mason jar, it was meant to be temporary but it's the right size and the T took to it so I'm not gonna bother changing it until a molt or two. I also got three of the hardiest species IMO so I doubt I'll have any issues, lol. But like I say, experience beats reading by a long shot, like why are there two drop let's of water on the side of one and where did it come from, how'd it get there? But the T is drinking it so there ya have it, lol. Also, two seemed to eat more/better than the third, both fattened up quite a bit. The other stayed on the prey for hours looking like it was feeding but never got any bigger. Did a pose on a leaf right after then went back to its routine, I may try feeding her again tomorrow to see if she's still hungry.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Im still fairly new to keeping T's but, I use to worry a lot more when I first started. When I first started out I thought that If my sling didn't eat every time I tried to feed it that it would starve. Now if one of my spiders doesn't eat its no big deal.

Owning a tarantula will teach you to be pacient more than any other pet I think.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Starting with s'lings can be very rewarding. I used to think I wouldn't want to do so, but after trying it with a pretty good success rate. (Lost one to a bad moult, but by that time it was a juvie and having gotten it as s'ling was irrelevant) I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more mature one unless I was looking for a confirmed female. S'lings are cheaper and went they get bigger you think "Wow! I did this!"

They were not my first tarantulas so admittedly I was a little ahead of the learning curve, though.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I think all my future purchases will be slings until I feel like getting into the breeding aspect. I love the raising of these little guys.

Just an update, I chose to rehouse two of my slings...

The beginners acrylic enclosure they came with provided little to no ventilation and the G. Rosea was scaling the sides, also too big for her as said before. The GBB seemed to want to explore a lot which was fine but also seemed to want to climb up high sometimes. I chose smaller enclosures for both with lots more holes for ventilation. I gave my GBB a tiny little plastic skull as a hide and my gf chose a few fake leaves, she went with the smallest enclosure and I went for a slightly larger so I had room for the hide. It's still like half the size of the last one though, the last sling I chose to not move into a new home yet as he's got a home more befitting of his size the the others had and I made more ventilation holes. I'm going to wait for a molt before I rehouse him. He's not the nicest guy on the block. The Rosie kicked some unnoticeable hairs and the GBB went easier but damn they're fast and change direction quick. Anyways...

Short story, first successful rehouse.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I think all my future purchases will be slings until I feel like getting into the breeding aspect. I love the raising of these little guys.
Just make sure you have enough room in your house or apt. for when your slings grow up.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Don't worry about your G.rosea growing too fast into its enclosure. That species grows slooooow and take forever to get some size. The GBB will outgrow its enclosures fast though. Good choice for a sling, it is very rewarding to see their colours change with each molt. :)

Can you post some pictures of enclosures and spiders?

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I can later tonight, I'm about to leave for work but I can get some pics when I get home.

Brumbleberry

Arachnopeon
Hi! I'm a brand new T owner as well getting nerves about everything. I have a 1/2 inch b. vagans who arrived looking great, she sat for a few pictures and I set her on a dark shelf for some quiet time. Now 2 days later I can't tell where she is buried and worry she'll never come out. Is this normal?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I can later tonight, I'm about to leave for work but I can get some pics when I get home.
Hey there :)

I really love the enthusiasm you have for your newly acquired tarantulas. And hey- we all worry a bit too much about our eight-legged babies from time to time, especially in the beginning before we feel somewhat secure in our husbandry. :embarrassed: I can attest to personally having obsessive/anxious spells regarding my Ts. Lol.

Will you please post some photos of your enclosures for us here though? If any alterations need to be made, there are many nice folks here who will assist you with suggestions. And we can also help put some of your worries to rest. :cat:

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Hi! I'm a brand new T owner as well getting nerves about everything. I have a 1/2 inch b. vagans who arrived looking great, she sat for a few pictures and I set her on a dark shelf for some quiet time. Now 2 days later I can't tell where she is buried and worry she'll never come out. Is this normal?
Totally normal. I've got several right now that I've had for almost a month and I haven't seen them since the day after I got them. Just be patient, they're settling in and trying to establish their new home, and this takes time. You'll probably see evidence of them soon (moved/excavated sub, food disappeared, etc.).

Some of the best advice I've gotten since joining this hobby is to remember that the spider knows how to be a spider better than we do, so don't over think it, relax, and enjoy watching them do their spidery thing. :wideyed:;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yup, very normal. Slings tend to burrow, especially Brachypelma slings. As it grows bigger it will generally be seen more often.
Keep the waterdish full and offer prekilled prey and watch that disappear :D

Good call on giving it quiet time to settle down :) Lots of new keepers hassle too much with their T's out of enthusiasm, but that is only adding stress to an already stressful situation. So nice going!

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Hey there :)

I really love the enthusiasm you have for your newly acquired tarantulas. And hey- we all worry a bit too much about our eight-legged babies from time to time, especially in the beginning before we feel somewhat secure in our husbandry. :embarrassed: I can attest to personally having obsessive/anxious spells regarding my Ts. Lol.

Will you please post some photos of your enclosures for us here though? If any alterations need to be made, there are many nice folks here who will assist you with suggestions. And we can also help put some of your worries to rest. :cat:

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Finally got it to upload, just took a long time. This is the GBB enclosure. The substrate is a little higher in the front because the back of the skull is hollow and it's the perfect hide but she doesn't use it. At 1" I think this enclosure is perfect for her size, may keep her in it after her next molt but will swap it out after the second one.

Attachments

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
This is the OBTs enclosure, the white thing the paper towel shopping she came inside. When I was taking her out of her shippping vial she threw a threat pose so I decided to let her keep it, haha. I went to take it out the next day but it's already webbed down to everything else including a water dish behind her leaf. I find this is a good enclosure but cluttered IMO. I'm gonna rehouse her after a molt just because I'd like her in something more aesthetically pleasing and less cluttered. Sometimes she will come out and sit on hat lead in plain view and sometimes she'll sit in a web tunnel and other times she'll hide under literally everything. Also 1" inch.

Attachments

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
This is the rosehairs enclosure. 1" as well. It's on the smaller side but I feel it's adequate, will be rehoused after her first molt in our care, for sure.

Attachments