Sting Treaments

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's been a while since my last post and all; life has been some what hectic. Anyway I'm still a licensed breeder/exporter/importer for the state of Florida and I'm getting ready to start collecting exotics again. However this time since I will own more dangerous species such as Androctonus Australis and the Death Stalker. The Florida Department of agriculture and its affiliates require me to have a first aid kit within reach of my exotic pet enclosures. I have a standard first aid which contains the basic items for minor injuries, but I also want a kit of medical supplies for scorp stings/spider bites. I've begun working on one, but I need to know if you can buy Epi pens without a Rx and if a hot/cold pack would help slow the spread of poison in the unlikely event of and allergic reaction due to an envenomation. All feed back is appreciated.

P.S. it's good to be back I miss talking with you all.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Epi pens require an Rx in SC , but I don't know about Florida . Best bet would be to simply call a pharmacy and ask . If they do require an Rx then you might be able to get a doctor to prescribe one to you . Be warned , I think that they might be expensive . :D Also , my experience in venom is mostly with snakes , but as far my doctor told me . . . get bit ( or stung in this case ) , haul ass to the hospital .

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Epi pens require an Rx in SC , but I don't know about Florida . Best bet would be to simply call a pharmacy and ask . If they do require an Rx then you might be able to get a doctor to prescribe one to you . Be warned , I think that they might be expensive . :D Also , my experience in venom is mostly with snakes , but as far my doctor told me . . . get bit ( or stung in this case ) , haul ass to the hospital .
The benefit of being in Florida is having the anti-venom bank: http://www.venomousreptiles.org/pages/antbnk (I say, that's the only benefit but that's just my opinion)

Prescriptions are required for epi-pens but I assure you that when you show up at the doctors office with a list of the species you keep and their LD50/50 ratings (we all know that the Ld50/50 is not so much the concern but how much the animal can inject - I add this before someone gets all self righteous and tells me the 1-5 scale for the zillionth time), the doctor will very likely hand you the scrip. Epi-pens are not the cheapest thing in the world, running about $100-120 a pop on average (this price may vary on locality, I'm in the Rocky Mountains so I haven't a clue about Florida prices). Baking soda is a good thing to have in your kit, it's old school - not gonna save your life but takes care of minor stings. I keep Benzalkonium Chloride wipes handy as a prep, it's far better than alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. I don't think that heat/ice packs will help much and I'm sure you're aware that any sort of extractor is more a novelty item than an actual useful instrument. All in all, a basic kit is all you need because there's nothing over the counter that's going to save your life in the event an Androctonus australis dumps a full load in you - it's straight to the hospital, don't even bother with opening the damn kit you'd just be losing precious time - the clock is counting down, dig?

Although the Miami-Dade Venom Response Unit hasn't done memberships in ages, it's good to call them and discuss your list of hots so that they have you on file and keep their number next to 911 because 911 is, in many cases, slower than driving yourself. Also keep the closest hospital's number on that emergency list. I'm saying all this because there is an order of operations, in the unlikely event you are envenomated, which you must have set up. For me, if I were in the area, my first line of business would be to call the antbank and tell them what hit me and which hospital I was going to - then I'd call that hospital and tell them what hit me and that I was on my way - 911 should technically be your first call but they like to keep you on the phone until help arrives and it's more logical to make sure that everything will be ready when you get to the hospital; if you are not close enough or capable enough or have no one who is, then call 911 - otherwise, skip it. If you mind your P's & Q's with your animals then you will never have to make those calls.

I hope this helps.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ha
i would suggest actually learning what an epi-pen does
Touche! I didn't think to mention the chaos that ensues when you use or even misuse an epi-pen. Epi-pens are definitely not something you want to have to use - think of those gigantic needles full of adrenaline they inject into peoples hearts when they go into cardiac arrest...or better yet the response Uma Thurman's character had in Pulp Fiction when she took that adrenaline needle into the heart - yeah, that's what epinephrine's designed to do, it's a synthetic form of adrenaline. Never had to use an epi-pen, did watch medics stick my best friend with the big needles when he offed and I'm a DNR so if my heart stops, that's all she wrote - no needles or pens for me, thanx.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
this is my "kit"

1. Aspivenin (suction device which pumps venom out of a wound)
2. Tavegil tablets: as a first medicin to stop an allergic reaction
3. An Epipen to treat myself in case of sever allergic reaction or anafylactic shock

Furthermore I keep a stingprotocol, which is basically a form, which I can rapidly fill in (what species stung me, what time, what medicines did I take, pre-existing medical conditions, things like a copy of my ID, social security number etc). I also keep documentation of all known physiological symptoms and the treatment, that can occur in Tityus envenomations. The medical kit and the protocol are on my desk.

I also informed the neighbourhood police post and the local fire department knows I keep dangerous scorpions in my house.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info I dont plan on getting stung, just wanted to take every precaution possible in case the gods dislike me:evil:

erika357

Arachnopeon
as a nursing student we deal with epi pens all the time in our "kits". the problem with having a pen in a kit is that not only are they expensive, but they expire rather quickly. it is a good idea to check the pens in your kit periodically to make sure it is not expired. an epi pen is no longer considered safe to use after it is expired.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's true, an Epipen , according to the manufacturers details, should expire after 12 months. I am glad the costs of them are covered by my medical insurance :D