still no feeding

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had my rosea for exactly two weeks now and she still hasn't eaten anything. she just attacks my fingers every now and then. i know that this is nothing to worry about cuz roseas fast for ages but this is my first T and i really want to c her eat! could she be coming up to a molt? she doesn't have a bald patch but she does have a pinky/brown patch on the end of her abdomen underneath the brown hairs.
Jono

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It shouldn't be anything to worry about. I have G. roseas that routinely fast for months at a time and start back eating without molting. Yours could be doing the same or it could be nearing a molt. The absence of a bald patch isn't really a good indicator either way.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had the same experience as JP. Rosies truly are the most enigmatic t, you never know what they're going to do.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The presence or absence of the "pinky/brown" patch on the abdomen isn't an indication of a pending molt. However, if that spots suddenly becomes darker, that is a sure sign of a pending molt. As long as the abdomen doesn't start shrinking on you, the feeding issue is not a problem for the T... but it can be for you. Good luck.

Botar

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had the same experience as JP. Rosies truly are the most enigmatic t, you never know what they're going to do.
Isn't it ironic that such a T is (probably) the most common starting Tarantula there is. It's definitly in the top 3.
Anyway, I never promote myself to know much compared to anyone else on this site, especially when referring to Officer Botar and the always lovely Galeogirl, but how did you receive your rosea? Was it shipped to you? It's possible that it isn't eating because it is still stressed out from such a move.
Paul

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't worry about fasting. I know it's hard...I had to overcome the worry and just let it slide. :) My P. scrofa sling didn't eat for about a month after I got it, and it worried me to death because it's already such a small spider...figure it needs food or something. Occasionally he/she will humor me by nibbling at her dinner plate. I've had bad luck with throwing in food and waiting for it to be caught. Just leave it in there for a few hours to a day, and if he/she won't eat, try again in a few days. Works for me. :D

Good luck

-LT