Still eating the same cricket or?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
It's been 18 or more hours and my T looks like she is eating the same cricket without much progress. I'm assuming it's a cricket that she is still eating. If not, I don't know what's going on. Could it take her this long, maybe if she wasn't really hungry to begin with? Is she possibly having difficulty for some reason? Could there be something wrong with her chelicerae?

Every time in the past she has consumed her entire meal, from what I could tell, in about 2-6 hours depending on the size of the cricket. Below are some photos for reference. They aren't the greatest shots, but its the best I could get.
20170102_205759.jpg 20170102_205916.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Definitely still eating. I fed my C. fimbriatus a massive meal last night, and she is still eating a full 24 hours later.

I've told you before. Tarantulas do everything slow ;)

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Definitely still eating. I fed my C. fimbriatus a massive meal last night, and she is still eating a full 24 hours later.

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure this is normal.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Tell that to the 7 inch P.cancerides I bred recently... She turned a large rat pup into a bolus in four hours..

Ts can take a long time to finish a meal though...It's not uncommon for my AF versicolor to take up to 14-16hrs to eat an adult Discoid.. I have a small adult female A.avic that takes 10hrs to eat a super worm.. Honestly it's kind of painfull to watch that picky little witch eat..

It's like that kid that doesn't want to eat so you make it take a bite and then it just holds it in its mouth for hours even though you told it to just spit it out already.. Grrr!

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Fed my G pulchra sling a roach the other day...20+ hours later it was still munching away on it. It's normal :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm assuming it's a cricket that she is still eating
You don't know what you fed it? Or you gave it more than one type of prey item?

Could it take her this long
Yes. I've timed some of my Ts that were 2-4" DLS, at one point or another they all spent 15-20 hr eating a cricket at least once. Other times, I've seen them eat within only a few hours. AND, the temps were the same 73-75F day/68-70 night

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my porteri took about 48 hours once to finish her meal. i dont think you have anything to worry about.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
You don't know what you fed it? Or you gave it more than one type of prey item?
No I gave her a cricket. I was wondering if it was still the cricket there or possibly some other ailment.
my porteri took about 48 hours once to finish her meal. i dont think you have anything to worry about.
I never knew it was normal to take that long. She's been so quick in the past, but I haven't had her that long, so I don't have much to compare to.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I'm glad to know that she is being a normal little T. I never knew I would love a spider as much as I love this one.