Still alive and mating attemps hardwickei

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey all, been a very long time
Just an update from Belgium to let you all know i'm still keeping centipedes :D

After visiting Turgut some weeks ago, i didn't had any excuse left for not making new mating attemps with my pedes, as some of you might remember, i've lost several nice pedes due to "unsexed"-mating attemps in the past, but with my group of "sexed' hardwickei i did feel a lot more comfortable in putting them together again:
With sexed pedes it really is kinda easy for mating attemps :razz: ,...
all went very smooth and without any agression.
2 x 3 attemps with fresh spermwebs in the morning.

@Turgut, Thanx again for sexing my hardwickei and the other pedes !
my cam still is acting weird but so far i did manage to take these crappy pix:

the mating-set-up (both males placed their spermweb on the same spot every time, see picture on the right)

plo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats and good luck ! Would love to see more of those in the hobby. How easy did you find it to sex the pedes ?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, congrates on just having the species! With all this breeding going on, we should see some hardwickii baby pics sooner or later. Maybe the confidence of knowing the sex keeps us from interfering out of fear. Turgut is the only one I've heard of that takes the time to find out for sure. I'm hoping to see babies this year too, but some of my pedes seem a little "sick" not quite right. That looks like a good size female!

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! Vey cool! Those are such beautiful creatures. I would be terrified to breed them as well! Good luck man.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Fingers & toes crossed for you, sir!

Off topic: any idea how long until scolopendra.be will be up and running again?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Off topic: any idea how long until scolopendra.be will be up and running again?
I'm getting many emails and requests about that,
but i can't really tell, i'm afraid :8o
hopefully by the end of this year (not kidding) :eek:

maybe i'll put the old website back up for a while :rolleyes:

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We've missed you Steven! And great work on the hardwickei matings! Can't wait to see the updated scolopendra.be as well, although, I thought the original was great too :clap:

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Long time not see you Steven. You must visit us more often:)

I hope the Hardwickei's project will run well and of course the web site becomes active as soon as posible.

Very glad to see you again!

Cheers
Carles

rivergod

Arachnopeon
Good to see this old friend again

Fifty five years ago near Lonavala in the Western Ghats of India, during the monsoon, my sister who was then 5, was bitten on the foot by a Sc. Hardwickei, which just arrived out of the grass and went for her. She was in agony two or three days. We used to see a lot of them, roaming the hillsides and if you were not careful in corners of the house.

The forests are vanishing in the Ghats, but last I heard of a iive one was last year when a chap taking pictures in Lonavala in the Western Ghats got bitten by a hardwickei that rushed at him and sank its fangs into his foot. I was glad to hear that these little creatures are still around and as bad tempered as ever.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
update: 1 female on eggs :D

(how are other hardwickei in captivity doing ?, i would check on your females RIGHT NOW,... guess the season has started)

Last edited:

Jürgen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello Steven!

very great news :clap: but eggs are only the half way!hope they will be good!!

cross my fingers!!

regards
Jürgen

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is exciting! i wish you where in canada :D or I had enough pedes to breed cingulata xp

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GREAT news and CONGRATS Steven! :clap::clap:
Let's hope for a successful result!
Great pic too! A very rare sight indeed. :worship:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome! Time to go get a cigar and smoke half of it and hope to smoke the other half later ha! That would really suck if she eats the eggs but she's in good hands and maybe this species doesn't eat their eggs so often. What is the average size of hardwickei?, I'm guessing 6 to 7 inches? Hey just saw the pic, she's really protecting them!

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats Steven! I hope it all works out for you! Keep us posted! This is great news!