Stichoplastoris chat thread

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, since information on the Stichoplastoris genus is rather scarce, I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a thread to collect some information of people who kept them.
So, if you have kept any species of the genus, what were your experiences? Since they're fossorial, how often did you see them out in the open? How is their growing rate and feeding response? Did their attitude change as they got older? I'd just like to read any info you might have.

I'll just start here, I've got a S. obelix, acquired it about a month ago, it didn't resurface so far. Its BL is about 2.5-3cm and it has a pretty light grey to it.

(It's a little darker than the pic makes it look though)
I know it's alive as feeders disappear and little hills of substrate appear everywhere like molehills.

I wonder why this genus is so rare? I find them pretty, just very reclusive, but many commonly kept Ts are.
Eager to read what people have to add to this!

FearToFasci81

Arachnopeon
I agree on the scarcity of info on this genus 😜 I just purchased 3 S. Fossorius and I cannot find any information at all. I'm not sure if the seller labeled them correctly or not but they also had the common name as the Nicaraguan grey? I haven't been able to find any information under that name either unfortunately. Mine are between 2 and 2 1/2 inches currently. I'm keeping them on moist jungle mix with corkbark hides the are partially buried. So far they just like to sit in the hides and come out for a stroll every once in a while. 2 of the 3 seem pretty docile, maybe a little skiddish, IMG_20200715_101802898.jpg IMG_20200715_102237952.jpg but the 3rd is a little defensive and has threat postered and kicked hairs at the meal worm I put in. I've only had mine for about 2 weeks so I don't have much info to add here, but I look forward to hearing more about this genus as well if anyone has more to add or if you have even heard of the species I have, that would be helpful too. IMG_20200715_102115173.jpg

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
Cool to hear about your S. fossorius! Didn't know that species and have never seen it before.

My S. obelix still hasn't resurfaced, but since its burrow is just next to the enclosure's wall, I sometimes see a hint of grey moving down there.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just purchased 3 S. Fossorius
Mendoza & Franke proposed the synonymization of B. fossorium with Stichoplastoris.
But meanwhile Longhorn & Gabriel erect the new genus Sandinista and synonymized fossorium with lanceolatum.
At the end fossorium is now Sandinista lanceolatum and do not belongs into the genus Stichoplastoris.

But beware, in the pet trade there was also a bit similar looking, but different species labeld as "Aphonopelma fossorium". These is more related to Stichoplastoris.

Theraphosinae sp. ex NICARAGUA

FearToFasci81

Arachnopeon
Mendoza & Franke proposed the synonymization of B. fossorium with Stichoplastoris.
But meanwhile Longhorn & Gabriel erect the new genus Sandinista and synonymized fossorium with lanceolatum.
At the end fossorium is now Sandinista lanceolatum and do not belongs into the genus Stichoplastoris.

But beware, in the pet trade there was also a bit similar looking, but different species labeld as "Aphonopelma fossorium". These is more related to Stichoplastoris.

Theraphosinae sp. ex NICARAGUA
Thank you so much for all of the information. So if I understand correctly, what I have now is considered to be Sandinista lanceolatum? Do the pictures I posted also confirm this? I had planned on trying to breed and want to make sure I know what I have. Thanks again for any information 😊.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Thank you so much for all of the information. So if I understand correctly, what I have now is considered to be Sandinista lanceolatum? Do the pictures I posted also confirm this? I had planned on trying to breed and want to make sure I know what I have. Thanks again for any information 😊.
Very responsible of you!!...confusing....but responsible :)

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Apparenetly not much going on with this genus for a while,but ill post just so I can join this Stichoplastoris club,lol.Just received a longistyolus sling.Will post a picture in the genus gallery.
Wow,not much info anywhere.Need to break out the WSC and have a look.
Anybody have any up to date info?.

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have recently been made aware that someone somewhere has been telling people that Stichoplastoris sp "Corn island" is the same as Sandinista lanceolatum THEY ARE NOT they are 2 different genera.

As I cannot find the source of this I will post here to clarify and to try to keep Stichoplastoris sp "Corn island" from being hybridised and/or dying out in the hobby, please feel free to reproduce my comments on the various media platforms.

The real (you cannot rely on what dealers sell things are) Aphonopelma fossorium is a junior synonym of Sandinista lanceolatum.

What is sold in the pet trade as A. fossorium, S. lanceolatum and Theraphosa sp Nicargaua are a mixture of two similar species S. lanceolatum (there is no more and should never be A. fossorium on price lists again) and Stichoplastoris sp Nicaragua which can be twice the size as S. lanceolatum. the bulb of lanceolatum and Stichoplastoris are totally different and anyone who proposes they are the same should not be taken seriously.

Stichoplastoris sp "corn island" is a different Stichoplastoris sp in its own right and nothing to do with S. lanceolatum or Stichplastoris sp Nicaragua and YES I know the corn islands are off Nicaragua as I have collected/seen all three species discussed here, and seen all the relevant type material.

If anyone has obtained spiders called Stichoplastoris sp "Corn island" please keep them as this.