Sterls' Photo Thread

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Felt like starting a photo thread. Complete amateur so there probably won't be much that's technically impressive - just stuff I thought looked cool.

20200829_193105.jpg
Fung.JPG
Red4Man.JPG
Stumpine.JPG

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Got a shot of one of my snakes against my tattoos, thought it looked cool

20210209_194952.jpg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A question for you photo savvy people. How do you correct the too bright too dark issues before you shoot?

@Sterls That first photo, the scenic vista, biased me from studying your thread, which was unfair. I've come to despise those clear cuts. National Forest = wilderness rape. They didn't even leave seed trees. Why not just call it like it really is, Corporate Profits Forest at the expense of the environment.
But your expedition into photography is fascinating. I hope you keep adding to this thread.

Last edited:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
A question for you photo savvy people. How do you correct the too bright too dark issues before you shoot?

@Sterls That first photo, the scenic vista, biased me from studying your thread, which was unfair. I've come to despise those clear cuts. National Forest = wilderness rape. They didn't even leave seed trees. Why not just call it like it really is, Corporate Profits Forest at the expense of the environment.
But your expedition into photography is fascinating. I hope you keep adding to this thread.
I personally don't do anything too special to manage brightness/darkness honestly. I just try to get my ISO, shutter speed, and aperture at a happy medium, usually with a few trial-error shots. I know it's possible to correct these issues in post production moreso if you shoot RAW, but I can never be bothered to go through and edit my photos extensively. I'll occasionally play with the brightness in Lightroom but most of the time I just go with whatever the camera gives me.

Thanks for the kind words! I feel you a bit on the mixed feelings about the clear cut areas. For me, I probably wouldn't have fallen as in love with nature if not for my time in National Forests as a child. While it's not perfect, I find the conservation approach of National Forests more accessible than the preservation approaches of National Parks. They offer a greater level of recreation, which connects people to nature in a different way than the Parks. I certainly don't agree with every aspect of their management however. Both are still important, and I believe there should be more Parks that prioritize preservation than there are. Rocky Mountain National Park is pathetically small compared to all the National Forest land in the state.

I'll definitely keep updating this thread - once summer rolls around I'll be able get out and shoot more.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I find the conservation approach of National Forests more accessible
BLM, Burros of Laughable Mismanagement.

My two huge piss-me-offs.
Timber Salvage Cuts. Post forest fire tragedy and an ecosystem in dire straights getting buried in slash pile grave yards by massive full clear cuts.
Total bullshit EIRs. 5 year study that can be fast tracked to 3 years or less. But post logging requires 20 years for the dominant flora and fauna to return and 50 to 200 years for the ecosystem to fully recover.providing the watershed hasn't 'accidentally' been destroyed outright. In the event of destroyed watershed, a cursory replant is undertaken using fast growing pine trees that will forever alter the ecosystem in anything but a forest where pine is the predominant or only species.
Common practice. Replacing clear cut stands of old growth redwoods with pines.
Or to put it succinctly, quoting the CEO of Louisiana Pacific Lumber Company, "We want it all. NOW!"

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Been shooting candids while hanging out with friends lately. Took this last weekend camping.

Look Up Lady - BW.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Some pretty good photos, the longer exposures are nice! Thanks for sharing man! I should probably get around to making one of these photo threads

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Some pretty good photos, the longer exposures are nice! Thanks for sharing man! I should probably get around to making one of these photo threads
Thanks! I didn't look through the forum much before I did - I thought more people did it. I'd be great to have more people posting photos in "Through the Lens". I'm too casual to deal with any pretentious forums specifically meant for photography, lol.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! I didn't look through the forum much before I did - I thought more people did it. I'd be great to have more people posting photos in "Through the Lens". I'm too casual to deal with any pretentious forums specifically meant for photography, lol.
No problem man! Well Ill just have to helo have that happen more, I always forget to engage in there but ill try and get myself togther and get in there more, and yeah I got off my photo forums. Just AB, plants, and Poetry now, AB always takes the cake though.