Sterilizing wood from outside

LucioArgento211

Arachnopeon
I have a question about the proper way to sterilize wood for in a T enclosure. I recently acquired a nice 3" Avic avic female and I have a nice piece of bark which I had my eye on for an enclosure. I have "sterilized" it by immersing it in scolding hot water for around 5 minutes (I mean scolding hot, I even burned myself lol) and then microwaving it on the highest setting for about a minute and a half (or when the wood began to crackle and pop). The piece is about a 1/4" in thickness and maybe 8" long, 3.5" wide. Would it be safe to put inside of the enclosure, or is there another curing and sterilizing process that is more effective? My main concerns are mites and fungal growth. Thanks in advance for the input!

Wlapkiewicz

Arachnopeon
I did the same thing you did with peaces of wood and after 4 months no mold , mites or other unwanted guests in any of my containers.

Dirzain

Arachnopeon
After the boiling/scalding hot water I generally put it in the oven anywhere between 200 & 400 degrees fahrenheit. I would recommend keeping an eye on it but there shouldn't be any problems. After leaving it in there about an hour or two you should be good. I've done this and never had a problem.