Sterilite enclosure smell

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Hey guys I'm doing a quick DIY enclosure project with a sterilite box. I don't know if the weird plastic smell bothers anyone else but I'm not a fan. Does anyone have a solution to getting the smell out or does it just go away after some time being overpowered by substrate and dead bugs?

Thanks

P.s. I've only tried rinsing with water and it didn't work

user 666

Arachnobaron
I haven't had a problem with Sterilite but generally when I encounter smelly plastic I bury it in substrate for a month or so.

it's a good way to reduce the outgassing.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i havent noticed the smell, than again, i never smelled my cages before use.. regardless, ive never had a issue.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ive noticed it,but the animals seem not to care in the least,Goes away in a couple of hours with substrate,and
venting holes.My bedroom,where my T roommates hangout with me,probably have issues with my dirty socks
and work T-shirts.:vomit:.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys I'm doing a quick DIY enclosure project with a sterilite box. I don't know if the weird plastic smell bothers anyone else but I'm not a fan. Does anyone have a solution to getting the smell out or does it just go away after some time being overpowered by substrate and dead bugs?

Thanks

P.s. I've only tried rinsing with water and it didn't work
These molecules aren't safe in my opinion for any animal, though for which animal and at what level of exposure I don't know. I let such containers air out until they no longer smell.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
yeah I'm probably just being weird. I didn't have concerns about it affecting the t it's more about me obsessing over things I can't control. Thanks for the advice guys

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
These molecules aren't safe in my opinion for any animal, though for which animal and at what level of exposure I don't know. I let such containers air out until they no longer smell.
Oh I didn't see your reply! I don't feel so weird anymore thanks lol. Yeah I have the time to just wait for it to air out that's probably what I'll do

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I use plastic boxes of various sizes almost exclusively and my processes is to drill the air holes, clean out the plastic bits from the drill, then give the box and lid a once over with liquid dish soap and rinse really well. Dry with a clean towel and the smell is significantly reduced. After time that plastic smell goes away completely. I'm paranoid about residual chemicals from the factory. More so for me than the spiders though. Come to think of it, I clean any container like the Kritter Keepers I use for larger juvies and small adults before I use them. I don't know what these things come into contact with from the factory to the store.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Plastics usually have a liquid silicone based lubrication to aid in the separation of the molds it probably contributes to the smell and also the film on the plastic. Not like plastic film but like oil film on some sterilites. I just wash them in warm water and wipe them down fairly well with a mild abrasive towel to remove any residual lube or chemicals

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
After creating the air holes I gave it a scrub with water and dish soap then a hot rinse. I put it outside a few days ago and I'll give it a sniff after it's been in the elements for a while