• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Steatoda grossa

NYAN

Arachnoking
Bite report for Steatoda species, likely grossa

Notes: this bite was was not a full envenomation due to the fact that the spider leaked venom prior to envenomation. The spider was very hesitant to bite me, and I needed to press it into my skin several times to provoke a bite.

Time of bite: 8:30

Reason for bite: self envenomation for science and my own curiosity.

8:30 small pinch sensation frim the bite followed by pretty much nothing..

8:35 slight burning sensation in the area

8:50 a small welt forms at the bite site; so much for the myth of two fangs marks.

9:30 pain has disappeared pretty much. A small welt which is firm remains.

10:30 the area is sweaty with mild swelling and tenderness.

I will try again with another specimen for a full venom dose.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Any alteration in your vitals? Suggestion. Give it, if possible, a week before another test. Really, it should be more like a month so latent anaphylaxis can be ruled out. Also, test on a different extremity.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's interesting, it'll be good to get some sort of baseline here since I've heard people saying that Steatoda are just as dangerous/venomous as Latrodectus. I don't believe it, but you know how the rumor mill of the internet goes...

NYAN

Arachnoking
Any alteration in your vitals? Suggestion. Give it, if possible, a week before another test. Really, it should be more like a month so latent anaphylaxis can be ruled out. Also, test on a different extremity.
I wish I had accsss to a sphygmomanometer still. I’m going to do another bite later, so I will try then.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Good heavens! Provking spiders to bite just to see what happens... I couldn't do that, but I'm glad you do, for science. :wideyed:

I wish I had accsss to a sphygmomanometer still. I’m going to do another bite later, so I will try then.
Sphygmomanometers seem nice. What do you feed those? :happy: