Steatoda Grossa babies

Tiefling

Arachnopeon
well my little cupboard buddy just laid her second sac. Ive read they can store sperm and lay 3 or more. When I first moved her to her habitat she was in a corner of the bathroom and she ran not from me but to her egg sac and just wrapped herself around it. Now Im a mommy and this made me very sad especially since I put her sac in a tupperware (it seems to be doing fine ). I have the tupperware next to her habitat so she can see I didnt hurt her babies but nooow there is one in there with her and she has even moved it from its original spot to a harder to reach spot.
I hate taking her babies from her. I can't have just 100 spiders cohabitating and making 1000 more. I mean I know theyre spiders but she seemed pretty maternal about the first sac. Google gives em 2-4 months to hatch and theyre both pretty new. the first maybe a week old and second about 24 hours. The second is bigger which I expected because she got so frigging huge before she laid it that her arse was all you could see of her and she wwoulnt eat or even move aside from turning to stare me down Lol
So yeah what the hell to do? I know a few places around town they'd survive happily in. Some ppl I dont like.. Haha no im kidding but the climate here is oki for them and we have a lot of stone formations, lil caves, abandoned stuff. But would she live happily with a couple of the baby females maybe? I dont wanna take em all from her :/
Oh and if anyone is still reading here, should I feed her cuz she dropped quite a bit in size after laying that sac and is moving around more. Seems like she'd be hungry. Her last meal was two pinhead crickets about a week ago. I dont think she's full grown either so I didnt know if she'd eat them both but she did. Ate em both overnight. And Im thinking at the same time even cuz they were wrapped and strung up together. Any info or experience is appreciated

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But would she live happily with a couple of the baby females maybe? I dont wanna take em all from her :/
You don't need to leave any of the spiderlings with her if you don't want them living in your home. They don't get depressed or lonely. (She can't even see her other egg sac that you placed nearby, as her eyesight is so poor that she can basically only sense changes in light levels.)

Their maternal care is limited to guarding their egg sacs. The spiderlings disperse to live on their own within a few days of emerging; only a small percentage will make it to adulthood.

If you remove the egg sac, she will have forgotten about it within 24-48 hours.

should I feed her cuz she dropped quite a bit in size after laying that sac and is moving around more. Seems like she'd be hungry. Her last meal was two pinhead crickets about a week ago. I dont think she's full grown either so I didnt know if she'd eat them both but she did. Ate em both overnight.
You can offer food, but many spiders won't feed while guarding their egg sacs. There's no need to worry, as they have slow metabolisms and can fast for a long time with no ill effects.