Starting to breed Theraphosa Blondis....

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
Good evening,

I'm in Northern California, I'm starting true Theraphosa Blondi breeding. Any advice, or if anyone is selling any adult pairs or equipment please don't hesitate to write me. Thanks

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Man, good luck with that. Theraphosa blondi are priced as <edit>. I loved that you said 'true' T.blondi, btw. I can tell you that is not an easy one indeed to breed, but I'm sure you already know that. The good part is that 1.0 lifespan isn't that bad after they turn MM.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Are you sure what you have is actually T. blondi and not stirmi? also have you ever bred other T's and do you even own the species yet?

I can see a lot of possible pitfalls in what you've said so far, You probably want a lot of breeding experience before trying this species and it's still gonna be hard, risky and expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I have no experience but I go big. That's why I'm hoping to get good advice so I can make this work.
Yeah, I don't know about that... You have no experience with t's or no experience with breeding? Either way, I wouldn't do blondi as a first breeding project. Pretty difficult and very expensive if you fail.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I say go for it. It's your money, not ours. Just understand that this is an advanced species - keeping them alive is a bit difficult, let alone breeding them. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you're the first step towards making this species available (and therefore affordable) here in the US.

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
I say go for it. It's your money, not ours. Just understand that this is an advanced species - keeping them alive is a bit difficult, let alone breeding them. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you're the first step towards making this species available (and therefore affordable) here in the US.
Thanks I'm doing research, it's one of my goals to make them more accessible.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks I'm doing research, it's one of my goals to make them more accessible.
Just be careful. If you're a new keeper, they are very easily confused with T. stirmi... which is a cheap spider. Don't be taken for a fool, or worse, succeed in breeding them and then sell T. stirmi slings for a T. blondi price. Then you'll be just as bad as the people who fooled you.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Go for it!! They shouldnt cause much problems with the pairing and just make sure you get pure T blondis

Just dont get flicked. I breathed in some T stirmi hair a month ago and my nose is still blocked up.

If you are in doubt take a pic a post here before parting with your cash!

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Or, get a pair of t stirmi if you are dead set on theraphosa as a starting point for breeding. They are cheaper and easier to care for. If all goes well, slings sell for $70-$90. Not bad. You would also be doing a service to the hobby, since most t stirmi are wild caught.

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
Okay thanks for all the great advice. I will consider which ever will be more possible, I learn quick, mostly dealt with snakes but always had a fascination with tarantuals. I may very well fail, but I'd like to give it my best shot, and hopefully have pure T Blondis to sell to hoobbiest in the U.S.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm just going to say this...soooo many true blondi die in the hands of over-confident, but well meaning beginners.

I think to start your tarantula endeavor with a blondi is not responsible, and to start by breeding them is a long shot, at best.

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
Why do they die ? Not keeping the habitat at the correct conditions ? Feeding ?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Why do they die ? Not keeping the habitat at the correct conditions ? Feeding ?
It's a delicate balance of humidity. They can't tolerate conditions that are too dry or too humid. They don't give you a big warning when things are going downhill, either. You'll just wake up to the smell of a dead spider.

I wouldn't take in a T. blondi even for a great deal because of their fragility. I honestly don't see how a greenhorn would keep them alive, but hey, crazier things have happened.

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
Anyone else live in the Northern California area that would be interested in partnering up for this task ?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Agree with cold blood... wouldn't shoot for stirmi right away. If you are really set on a Theraphosa, I'd go with stirmi.

Anyone else live in the Northern California area that would be interested in partnering up for this task ?
Not really interested in breeding blondi right now, but where in NorCal are you? I'm in Ripon, right next to Modesto.

Forcebak

Arachnopeon
Agree with cold blood... wouldn't shoot for stirmi right away. If you are really set on a Theraphosa, I'd go with stirmi.

Not really interested in breeding blondi right now, but where in NorCal are you? I'm in Ripon, right next to Modesto.
Chico...