starter T. for supervised pre-teen?

andrew_w_hill

Arachnopeon
My 10 year-old nephew has been watching and helping me (though he can't go in the tank) with my T. blondi. He has also helped me maintain crickets and roaches. He's been wanting a pet of his own, but many pets recommended to pre-teens seem to kick over and die, even if properly cared for, like fish and small rodents. I was actually thinking about helping him start on with a B. smithi or G. rosea (highly supervised, of course), because I've heard they can have good longevity.

He's a bright kid who is responsible and respectful to animals. I was just wondering if one of the two species was better, or if there is an even better starter than one I just mentioned.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G.Rosea are much cheaper and in that my be a better choice, Only problem with them is you may end up with a wild caught (WC) and they could have health/behavior issues. I think that either one are Great choices, great temperment and it would just boil down to a choice. Oh and B.smithi can be a bit itchy,,but if your careing for a T.Blondi then nothing in comparison to that.
Good luck
~Aaron

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
My 10 year-old nephew has been watching and helping me (though he can't go in the tank) with my T. blondi. He has also helped me maintain crickets and roaches. He's been wanting a pet of his own, but many pets recommended to pre-teens seem to kick over and die, even if properly cared for, like fish and small rodents. I was actually thinking about helping him start on with a B. smithi or G. rosea (highly supervised, of course), because I've heard they can have good longevity.

He's a bright kid who is responsible and respectful to animals. I was just wondering if one of the two species was better, or if there is an even better starter than one I just mentioned.
I find the best starter T is B albopilosum by far! if you want something with some leg stripes then a chaco! if its something with colour you after then B smithi! depends what you like in a T! i just really dont like G Rosea/porteri!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can't go wrong with G. pulchripes. :D Colorful and docile, and they get big.

Last edited:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find the best starter T is B albopilosum by far! if you want something with some leg stripes then a chaco! if its something with colour you after then B smithi! depends what you like in a T! i just really dont like G Rosea/porteri!
+1 To that!!! :D

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
Grammostola pulchripes

I would have to say the Grammostola pulchripes (chaco golden knee).
That is the T i would have loved to start of with. Very nice display t's and they are very docile, wel mine is anyway lol:)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thirding a G. Pulchripes! I love the way their knees just pop when freshly molted.

G. Roseas can also have some nutty individuals.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. pulchripes is good! I have a love for aboreals and think an Avic avic would be a good one as well!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also vote for the pulchripes, mine's a bit fiesty though. And I have to mention E. campestratus. My girl is beautiful, slow and gentle.

haasdas

Arachnopeon
Will also agree with the G. Pulchripes. But they grow very slowly like you all should know and enthusiastic new starters usually want T's that don't grow to slow. And G. Rosea's can go on long fasting sprees so for a beginner I would go for B. Albopilosum or Smithi or L. Parahybana but with the Parahybana they do get a bit feisty but they are awesome T's.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get him like a juvi or sub-adult. G. pulchripes is a good choice and so is B. smithi.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you get him a Brachy... I suggest getting an albopilosum... They are alot calmer than the smithi.. Though each spider has its own personality..

If you get him a Grammy... I suggest either a G. pulchra or G. pulchripes.. IME those 2 are the calmest... Though a out of my G. rosea 1 out of 5 has the evil temperment everyone talks about.. The other 4 are great..
I would personally choose the G. pulchripes... Its the best looking out of them all IMO...

Of course you can go with an A. avic.. They are like kittens with 8 legs... None of mine have ever had a crazy attitude..

andrew_w_hill

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much for the input. I was also looking at G. pulchripes, and I had heard the mixed reviews concerning G. rosea, which is why I wanted to hear what people more experienced than I had to say. I had not even thought of E. campestratus, but that sounds like a viable option to consider as well.

andrew_w_hill

Arachnopeon
Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy of G. pulchripes is and whether or not there is the common gender difference in this regard?

Also, an online dealer lists both G. pulchripes and G. auriostriata... aren't they the same spider?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy of G. pulchripes is and whether or not there is the common gender difference in this regard?

Also, an online dealer lists both G. pulchripes and G. auriostriata... aren't they the same spider?
G. Pulchripes is the newer name, and yes they are the same thing.

They are one of the longer lived species. Someone can probably give an exact range, but I think it's like 15yrs +.

tarantulagooroo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Males I think from sling to adult is 3-7, and females maybe 15-30? not quit sure though, definitely go for the G. Pulchripes!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you get him a Brachy... I suggest getting an albopilosum... They are alot calmer than the smithi.. Though each spider has its own personality..

If you get him a Grammy... I suggest either a G. pulchra or G. pulchripes.. IME those 2 are the calmest... Though a out of my G. rosea 1 out of 5 has the evil temperment everyone talks about.. The other 4 are great..
I would personally choose the G. pulchripes... Its the best looking out of them all IMO...

Of course you can go with an A. avic.. They are like kittens with 8 legs... None of mine have ever had a crazy attitude..
Never had B albopilosum or G pulchripes but you might also consider getting him a G pulchra. Only a tad bit more expensive as a sling but WELL worth it! My two cents. :)

I certainly don't remember or had no reason for putting the red face in the title?...........(-;

Last edited:

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
E. campestratus is a wonderful T. Subtle beauty that is amazing when seen in person. Mine was so calm that I actually rubbed her fangs with no response from her. The only T to date that I've ever done that too. By the way it wasn't on purpose. It happened while I was getting her back in her enclosure.

All of the other T's mentioned would make great beginner species. Thanks, for spreading the joy of this hobby!!:D