starter spiders

r_cafin

Arachnopeon
I have a ? for any of you that have dealt with Ts a while...I have a G Rosea and love it..my question is what would another good spider be for a beginner like me..i was considering a. avicularia. but any helpful advice would be appreciated...Thanks Ryan:?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well there are many good starters, here are a few I think of as good starters:
A. aviculara Pink toe
G. puchlara Brazillan black
E. camp??? Pink zebra beauty (I drew a blank on the latin name and am at work and don't have my chart handy)
A. versicolor Antilles pink toe
B. ablopsim Curly hair
B. smithi Mexican red knee
This is a few of my favorites

EDIT: I am home now, so here it is:
E campestratus Pink Zebra Beauty

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just about any Avicularia, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, or Grammostola species are good for beginners (and us experienced folk, too :)).
Some choice examples are Avicularia avicularia, Avicularia versicolor, Aphonopelma bicoloratum, Aphonopelma seemani, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma emilia, Brachypelma vagans, Grammostola aureostriata, and Grammostola pulchra.

Individuals from these genera tend to be hardy, not picky about moisture requirements, and docile in temperament.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
a. avic is a good 2nd t, also i would reccomend A. seemani, (costa rican zebra, aka. stripe knee).

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm i always see B.Smithi and Emilia mentioned as good starter T's.. What about the Boehmei? How is their temper like?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Boehmi is similar, just a heck of a lot more uncommon than either smithi or emilia. You can find juveniles of smithi for good prices from a number of vendors, and emilia juveniles for fair prices, but boehmi, you get hatchlings or pay through the nose.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aaah didn't think of the availability.. i'm gettin one on wednesday.. ;) a sling that is

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've found B. boehmei to be much more nervous and hair-flicky than, say, B. smithi. Hardiness and carewise, however, pretty much the same.

Wade

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hi

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
i think you should get an a.avicularia, i have one and i love it!!
You sure change you rmind quickly. A few weeks ago you said it was boring.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Re: Re: hi

Originally posted by JacenBeers
You sure change you rmind quickly. A few weeks ago you said it was boring.
Dude, please try to remember what it's like to be 12... short attention span, short on patience, and it's not getting any better in the MTV cesspool, instant gratification world we live in... the fact that he's come around in just a couple of weeks is saying a lot... would you rather he still thought it was stupid?

Not trying to be an ass, but if you want a pat on the back for having a great memory or knowing how to use the forum's search functionality, then fine *pat pat* but bringing up a misinformed remark the kid made and then apologized and was sorry for the VERY NEXT DAY tells me you weren't really trying to be constructive here, you were trying to get a jab in, and that doesn't help anyone.

Just give the kid a break... he saw his error, he apologized ALREADY, and he was trying to encourage a fellow member of the hobby... next time think how you could encourage instead of nitpick.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: hi

Originally posted by Mister Internet
Dude, please try to remember what it's like to be 12... short attention span, short on patience, and it's not getting any better in the MTV cesspool, instant gratification world we live in... the fact that he's come around in just a couple of weeks is saying a lot... would you rather he still thought it was stupid?

Not trying to be an ass, but if you want a pat on the back for having a great memory or knowing how to use the forum's search functionality, then fine *pat pat* but bringing up a misinformed remark the kid made and then apologized and was sorry for the VERY NEXT DAY tells me you weren't really trying to be constructive here, you were trying to get a jab in, and that doesn't help anyone.

Just give the kid a break... he saw his error, he apologized ALREADY, and he was trying to encourage a fellow member of the hobby... next time think how you could encourage instead of nitpick.
I think you deserve the mentioned pat on the back for this response.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Well said Mr. Internet.

Jacen - I can't say it as well as Mr. I but I will make it short and to the point - your comment was uncalled for, hurtful and insulting. Perhaps your friends (worshippers?) will tolerate such treatment but we don't like you treating people on these boards this way. Next time it would be nice if you think about someones feelings other than your own before you type.

Gail