Starter pede

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I am just thinking about getting a pede at the moment, but am unsure which species would be a good starter. Are any species more visible than others, i.e spend less time hiding and burrowing underneath the substrate? What would you recommend?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The most common starter pede you'll see the experienced keepers recommend is the S. polymorpha - only gets to about 6" and doesn't require much in the way of special habitat. Also has a relatively mild venom from reports.

Of course, they're all evil bastards so I skipped the polymorpha and moved right to S. castaniceps (since deceased), a Chinese redhead, and Vietnamese Giant (S. subspinipes) :)

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmm, a S.Morsitans is also a good choice for a beginner species I think

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Another good starter would be those of the genus Hemiscolopendra, mainly H. marginata, commonly known as the Florida blue centipede. This species gets areound 3" to 4" and has a very mild venom compared to the Scolopendra.

Alex S.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To tell you the truth, I don't think there is really an official starter for pedes like the rosie with Ts and the emperor with scorps. The ones afforementioned would be good because of mild venom, but hey, hardly anyone wrangles pedes. So I say, just jump right on in! I agree with CM, they're all bad tempered, but that's part of the deal :) . As long as you take precautions to ensure that the pede will not escape and it has adequate hide, start off with whatever species you want. S. Subspinipes is common and active, but I think it has the most medically significant venom. It was my starter pede and I'm not disappointed in the slightest.