Starter millipede/good resource(s)?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can someone recommend a good resource for info on millipedes (in addition to this forum, that is). I'd like to get a millipede setup but i know nothing about them as of yet. Can they be communally kept, feeding, tank setup, humidity, etc?

When i started out with tarantulas i got plenty of MIS-information from the web. If anybody can recommend some good resources that would be super-duper. Also, what species would be good for starters and why? I'd like a species that is less demanding in husbandry and impressive as a display animal. Also, not tremendously expensive if you please.

Thanks folks!

africanmilli

Arachnopeon
Well I was in your shoes about 2 months ago and I did alot of research on the web and found really only one good website(well there is another but it's in german and everyone says it's really good). Check it out, it has a list of species and tells about each and rates them as to how good they are as pets. Now as far as finding millipedes for sale that is the harder part. You will find the AGB's(african giant black) everywhere and they are the starter millipede. But pretty much anything else you have to search for. Here's that website Pet-pedes.co.uk If you have any further questions feel free to pm me and ask me.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they can be communally kept, the like higher(80% or so humidity or lower based on sp), feed most veggies with cuttlebone or oak leaves for calcium, a 10 gallon with 3-4'' of cocofiber is good for 1-3, i gave mine a jar lid to serve food in because they veggies always got coco fiber on them. They drink the mist on the side of the tank.
as for species the giant african is most common and pretty cool(jet black up to 9'' long!) or imo the most stunning is the red legs(jet black with red legs) both should be under $20
p.s where are you located in maryland? i spent 6 years of my childhood and my family still lives in salisbury

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Can someone recommend a good resource for info on millipedes (in addition to this forum, that is). I'd like to get a millipede setup but i know nothing about them as of yet. Can they be communally kept, feeding, tank setup, humidity, etc?

When i started out with tarantulas i got plenty of MIS-information from the web. If anybody can recommend some good resources that would be super-duper. Also, what species would be good for starters and why? I'd like a species that is less demanding in husbandry and impressive as a display animal. Also, not tremendously expensive if you please.

Thanks folks!
I'll bet you'd be really glad if you bought a copy of this book:

My favorite starter millipede is the albino Narceus. They are somewhat expensive (though much more reasonable presently than when only a few dozen existed) but since they are very hardy they'd be less expensive than buying other types that die and have to be replaced.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for your help guys. This ought to get me started.
E&A I'm still getting around to picking up my copy of the tarantula Kaeepers Guide so maybe i'll get both books at the same time.

Africanmilli: Thanks for the site, I'll check i out. I know Swift has some africans and a couple other species as well so i'll probably start there. I've been very happy with the T's i've gotten from him.

Froggy: I'm in Easton, grew up here. Salisbury is about 40 mins down the road.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
E&A: Those links in your signature are great. very informative.