starter centipede

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Forgot about that list, Caco. It's a good'n. Yeah, everybody wants to have a beast when they start out, but it may be wise to get something more manageable = smaller. S. polymorpha is a reasonably visible 'pede & prob. the best option for observing behavior before jumping in to 'pedeland, full tilt. I found Hemiscolopendra chilensis(I know, the genus has changed...arggh) to be exceptionally mellow, but not widely available.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
alternans is reclusive and possibly has some of the strongest venom available. i'm not sure if that makes it a great starter
The Florida Scolopendra alternans doesn't have very strong venom, I've not been bitten by the larger Haitian or Peurto Rican varieties so I can't say on those. I'd rather be bitten by S. polymorpha if that's the only criteria.
I don't keep mine on deep substrate so they're a little more amusing than S. polymorpha and others that just lay on top and require you to shake the cage to make sure they're alive. I think S. alternans are good for a beginner because they're healthy and if they die it's your fault. S. subspinipes imports are often dead when you get them, they just don't know it yet.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im am a noob when it comes to pedes, and from my experience(coming from a newb) I have had no problems with my Angulata angulata. Its mainly a recluse, avid hunter and very easy to care for. mine is right around 5.5 inches currently. very pretty as well.

I cannot attest for the venom, as I have not been bit by any pede, and I plan to keep it that way.

but the A. angulata seems a lot slower than some I have seen and so far less agressive/defensive.

Take my comment for what it is. as I have only owned two pedes. but take that from someone with little experience to say its easy.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
imported subspinipes definitely can and do get broken in the importation. i think they have a large part to do with why ppl perceive centipedes as so die-y

polymorpha legs look different when they die =P

i just glanced at my House of Blind Tigers (the laundry basket i super contain all my tiger and blind centipedes in) and i can see more than half of my tigers just chilling on top of the substrate. they really aren't active... but they do have a good chance of staying visible even with deeper substrate

i would suggest deeper substrate (in a TALL container) for a pede noob as you can usually just tap the container and get the centipede to burrow when it is time to do anything in the cage. with just a little bit of substrate you pretty much need to give them a hide or there is a chance they will spaz out when you open their container

edit:
also, yeah, i don't think the FL alternans are all that human reactive. they are also smaller and not nearly as prevalent in the hobby (compared to S. polymorpha). they would make a ok starter, though, if one is available

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
i just glanced at my House of Blind Tigers (the laundry basket i super contain all my tiger and blind centipedes in) and i can see more than half of my tigers just chilling on top of the substrate.
If you're going to use the words "laundry basket" and centipedes in the same sentence you must provide a picture, 'cause it sounds like a 'pede enclosure out of a Lewis Carroll book;)