Started a video series to help new keepers. Would appreciate feedback!

MacDrachma

Arachnopeon
Hey guys and gals. I started a Youtube channel recently and wanted to make some video to accumulate the knowledge I have gained from these boards and other places. I know that starting off, some people have problems finding a one stop shop for beginner info.

I was hoping some of you would like to watch and let me know how I did and what things I might have missed (or got wrong. :anxious:) Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I followed your link and it just keeps sending me to my channel. What is your channel name?

MacDrachma

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I have corrected it! I was linking from my video manager. (Still new at this haha)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Good info for the most part, although I think trying to keep humidity precisely as you want it is largely a waste of time because hygrometers sold on Amazon, in pet stores, etc are notoriously inaccurate. Give your T some dry sub, and overflow the water dish to create some wet sub around it. From there, you need to read your tarantula's behavior...if it's always hanging out on the wet part, it might be good to overflow the dish even more and make a larger area of it. If it's climbing up on everything and acting like it hates touching the wet substrate, let it dry out and don't overflow much the next time. A lot of new keepers fixate on humidity and unnecessarily drive themselves crazy over it.

Also, this might seem nit-picky, but DKS is a symptom, not a disease. It's like a runny nose, caused by some underlying problem.

Other constructive criticism...I don't personally mind a long video, but in general, people's attention spans are short. I would try to keep it under 15 minutes (just break up the content into more frequent videos.) Another idea might be shooting the video with some tarantula stuff in the background (like your enclosures and other tarantula stuff) instead of your bed, etc. I don't know how feasible that is, but it might help the video seem more tarantula-themed.

Hope this helps!

MacDrachma

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback!

Noted about DKS.

I do plan on having more of my enclosures and T's in the videos, but I am limited by my camera setup at the moment. And subsequent videos should be much shorter. :)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I actually don't mind robc so much. He seems like a pretty good guy with some decent information, just a little eccentric and exaggerative.

He's not just an attention friend like DTG.