Standard shipping prices?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Question:
How much is standard shipping within the USA?
I'm buying some Ts from a good friend and they said FEDEX overnight from Chicago, IL to Oakland, CA is $125!!

I am positive she's not trying to get over on me, but I see ppl advertising on the classified sections here saying shipping is generally $40 over night with LAG?

Am I going crazy?? Have they upped their shipping costs? Anyone know?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Question:
I'm buying some Ts from a good friend and they said FEDEX overnight from Chicago, IL to Oakland, CA is $125!!

I am Pretty positive she's not trying to get over on me, but I see ppl advertising on the classified sections here saying shipping is generally $40 over night with LAG?

I've never seen shipping over $50.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It would literally cost less to ship it Delta Dash . Agreed on the letting snail mail handle it .

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She said she got an online quote for an $60 but when she got there they tried to charge her the $125.....

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Man even shipping prices are crazy in the U.S, not only T's in general :)

And I mean a $50 shipping one. I understand those conditions and etc but really :-s

Vezon

Arachnopeon
If you ship via FedEx, you really should get online and make a plan to ship it overnight in advanced. I think it winds up being way cheaper if you pre-schedule your package instead of just going to the store and asking for it to get shipped asap. You also have to think about what time of day you drop off the package. It is cheaper to drop it off early morning than later in the afternoon I think...

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Mod Note

We will not be discussing ways to get around the rules, laws, or terms and conditions of the USPS or any other postal carrier in the forums again. If this thread starts being about the laws and/ or rules of venomous animal shipping (or how to get around them) it will be deleted.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mod Note

We will not be discussing ways to get around the rules, laws, or terms and conditions of the USPS or any other postal carrier in the forums again. If this thread starts being about the laws and/ or rules of venomous animal shipping (or how to get around them) it will be deleted.
My mistake, I didn't realize that was not to be discussed. I will keep my questions to prices and reviews of diff carriers only in the sense of shipping. My apologies. Thank you.

smiittyy

Arachnosquire
Question:

I am positive she's not trying to get over on me, but I see ppl advertising on the classified sections here saying shipping is generally $40 over night with LAG?

I recently shipped a couple packages Fed ex priority overnight(arrives by 10:30am) and with $300 insurance it was $73. That is from coast to coast. Without the insurance it would have been 5 bucks cheaper. Package was 1pound, 8in X 8in x 8in, sorta the standard size tarantula box. Now if I would have upgraded to first overnight(arrives by 8am), i believe the quote was $90.

Standard overnight which arrives by 12pm would have most been around $52 or there abouts. The insurance i mentioned would been covered if the package was actually lost, not if the T's were dead or the package arrives late.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is what I don't get, talking now only about prices and prices only. This IMO absurd difference.

Let's not count for a moment that here in Italy you can't anymore receive/buy/trade/breed for trade and sell/etc arachnids outside of the authorized expos.

Let's not count the fact that, seriously, if we check well their rules, a lot of EU normal mail carriers wouldn't 100% endorse that (it's mostly a laissez-faire and anonimous parcels, I'm sure of that).

What matters to me and my point is: here in Europe, you can order from a UK, or Germany based, online Arachnids shop, and pay for that, no matter, no more than $15 for the shipping. This using the normal, "lazy" way.

Meaning, receiving the parcel after 4/5 days (almost the rule when things are outside the UK). But even using a courier, you wouldn't pay something like $50.

How that's possible I ask? :-s

smiittyy

Arachnosquire
O yeah, i also recently shipped via delta dash. That was $99 with insurance covering the health/lives of the tarantulas. It was a painless process. I also got quoted a price from delta cargo that was $52. That is the exact same service as delta dash only you have to have the package at the airport 3hours prior to the departing flight. Where as with delta dash you can bring the package to the airport up to 60minutes till the flight.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mod Note

Thank you, this type of behavior gives all of us a black eye in the view of the public.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
O yeah, i also recently shipped via delta dash. That was $99 with insurance covering the health/lives of the tarantulas. It was a painless process. I also got quoted a price from delta cargo that was $52. That is the exact same service as delta dash only you have to have the package at the airport 3hours prior to the departing flight. Where as with delta dash you can bring the package to the airport up to 60minutes till the flight.
Delta dash isn't a bad way to ship , and from what an online seller told me it's the only way to ship venomous snakes . I'm getting a few vipers shipped in a week or two and Delta is how they are coming .

cold blood

Staff member
What matters to me and my point is: here in Europe, you can order from a UK, or Germany based, online Arachnids shop, and pay for that, no matter, no more than $15 for the shipping. This using the normal, "lazy" way.

Meaning, receiving the parcel after 4/5 days (almost the rule when things are outside the UK). But even using a courier, you wouldn't pay something like $50.

How that's possible I ask? :-s
Its all about overnight...you're paying $15 for 4-5 day shipping...2 day shipping here is often less than $15 through usps and about $25 through fed-ex (which is a better deal than yours, similar pricing and half the time in transit). If you were to ship 4-5 day, that would be like media shipment and it would cost a fraction of what you pay for what amounts to the same service, like 5 bucks, but no one here would even consider that.

You cannot compare pricing for 4-5 day with the over night shipping most prefer here in the states.

You don't have over night shipping, so you really have nothing to compare it to.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Ive had fedex try for $100ish before. Little places like the general shipping stores are the worst.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You don't have over night shipping, so you really have nothing to compare it to.
False, because in UK, among/inside the whole UK I mean, if "you" pay for the "next day" delivery using Royal Mail (so the fast one option, which of course wouldn't work for the non UK customers of course) you wouldn't pay that much either my man :-s

cold blood

Staff member
False, because in UK, among/inside the whole UK I mean, if "you" pay for the "next day" delivery using Royal Mail (so the fast one option, which of course wouldn't work for the non UK customers of course) you wouldn't pay that much either my man :-s
But you don't live in the UK...my man;)

Plus the UK is like the size of a single state here...I could do overnight within my state for probably $20-25...2 day would be like 6 or 7 bucks.

MsBuzzKill

Caltuckian
I may be mistaken, but I think FedEx prices are a little better if one has an account set-up with them; or so I've heard.
I don't have an account with FedEx and I paid about $65 for overnight (delivery received by noon) to ship to someone just a couple states away. Seems to depend substantially on zip codes when I was doing it (and have had people quote me shipping cost when receiving animals). I've paid between $45 and $65 myself when receiving snakes, Ts, etc.