stalled molt?

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

So I'm dealing with my first molt as a T owner, so naturally I have a million in one questions.

So my time started molting this morning. She (I use "she" loosely because I still don't know) was very still all day today on her back up until about 3 hours ago when she started pulsing. Everything seemed normal at first, but now it seems to have almost stopped and she's now on her side more then back and barely moving.
Is it common for them to take breaks during the process?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
It can take a while for an adult. I don't start worrying until 24 hours have passed... and truthfully, even then - there isn't a whole lot you can do.
Is there adequate humidity (for yours, I am thinking a regular water bowl in enclosure would suffice)?
Ts know more about being Ts than we do.... worst advice ever huh? But basically, you gotta wait it out.

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
She hasn't moved at all that I've seen. I've been letting her be because I didn't want to stress her out.

As for humidity, I just have the water bowl, it was filled Friday but is almost empty now. I didn't fill it only because I just wanted to leave her be & not stress her out.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Messing with humidity will not help, especially a species like this that does not like high moisture.

How is the spider looking now, @Kellyp ?

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
Same just lying on her side not moving. I'm afraid she didn't make it. But again I'm just letting it be.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yeah, not really anything to do but wait her out and hope she's just being unbearably slow. Has she attempted to pull out of moult? Does she appear stuck? I have seen Ts lie strangely and make strange yoga positions, but that's after they complete their moult.
I admit... this far in... it doesn't look too good. Are you absolutely sure she didn't complete moult while you weren't looking??? (trying to be positive here).
I still agree not to top off water dish -- the needed moisture, imo, was pre-moult (hard for a dehydrated T to moult safely) and since you had a water dish present -- you did your part. Whether that dish has now gotten low... well, that's normal for water to run low. Basically -- just saying I don't see that you did anything wrong to cause this.
It's not over until it's over.... I will cross my fingers and toes for you and continue to send out positive vibes until there is no hope left.

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
I'm positive there was no molt. I've been checking periodically and still no movement. She's still on her side with her legs bent behind her, almost like a reverse death curl. It's It's a very awkward position.