Staining some driftwood question

Jjpth

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if staining driftwood is toxic to T's or scorps?.. I tried researching but couldn't find any answers. I have a few nice pieces,but they're so sunbleached and white and so I wanted to just add some color if possible... Thanks for looking

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I wouldn't use stain. That stuff's usually pretty toxic. What about plant-based colors? I've heard of tea and walnut husks. I don't know if those would be bad for tarantulas either.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldn't use stain. That stuff's usually pretty toxic. What about plant-based colors? I've heard of tea and walnut husks. I don't know if those would be bad for tarantulas either.
Definitely. Brew a strong batch of tea, pour the hot tea over the wood, let it soak for a few days. Take it out let dry for a good week, or bake it at low temp.

Jjpth

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, hahaha... Now I guess my next would be if anyone know how I could take off stain?. Maybe soak it in saltwater for a week? I can't believe I stained it and then wondered if it was toxic!.. It was so irresistible :8o

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
would probly be better to get a new piece of wood. I dont know if you could get all of the toxins out of the wood.

Jjpth

Arachnopeon
Ok well I just scrubbed it with simple green and am currently boiling it in salt water. I just put a light coat of varnish on about 4 hours ago so I figured it was still fresh and used the simple green and it all caked up like oil in a pan. I was actually able to scrape it off with my fingernail. I'll do all of this and still probably leave it in the sun for about three weeks..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ok well I just scrubbed it with simple green and am currently boiling it in salt water. I just put a light coat of varnish on about 4 hours ago so I figured it was still fresh and used the simple green and it all caked up like oil in a pan. I was actually able to scrape it off with my fingernail. I'll do all of this and still probably leave it in the sun for about three weeks..
Words of warning. Whats more important? The way your Ts cage looks or its life? Ditch the wood! Its not worth it. :embarrassed:

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely. Brew a strong batch of tea, pour the hot tea over the wood, let it soak for a few days. Take it out let dry for a good week, or bake it at low temp.

I vote best answer:worship:,very clever IMO