Staggering C lividus slings losses

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
So I produced a C lividus sac a while back.
Pulled almost a month ago and the remaining lot are all N2, and all moled to N2 no problem.

But since then they've been dropping like flies, slings that apparently made the molt to N2 perfectly fine I find in a death curl. Dozens of them. At first I thought it was a dehydration issue, but with my incubator the humidity levels are pretty high and it is the same incubator setup I've used with S calc, B albo, H incei and a couple others with no issue.

Then I thought that it was perhaps a molding issue or a contaminant. So I took one of my other incubators and relocated the surviving slings to the new, clean and sterilized incubator earlier today. But when I checked up on the survivors a few moments ago I noticed a number of the specimens already curled or beginning to curl, with the remainder of the previously energetic and active specimens being quite lethargic and sluggish. At this rate I'm expecting to lose the entire sac.

If there are any ideas any of you have that I might be missing or a cause it would be greatly appreciated. Are C lividus slings notoriously fragile? Do they do better with higher humidity? Ect.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have had this mystery before. 2 sacs. One C. sanderi and other H. guttata. All made it to N2 then all died mysteriously. I thought it was down to inbreeding. Though I am not sure

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What's your incubator set up like and why are they still in one? I don't know what N2 is but I'm assuming second instar?

I seperate slings at second instar, house them on moist sub and keep them around 76-80F. At second instar the care is pretty straight forward general sling care.. Moist sub neutral temps and frequent small meals.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
What's your incubator set up like and why are they still in one? I don't know what N2 is but I'm assuming second instar?

I seperate slings at second instar, house them on moist sub and keep them around 76-80F. At second instar the care is pretty straight forward general sling care.. Moist sub neutral temps and frequent small meals.
N2 is more in line with the European naming convention which is the stage directly after the primary nymph stage (eggs with legs) thus the "N"
So by US naming conventions it would be 1st instars

14pokies

Arachnoprince
N2 is more in line with the European naming convention which is the stage directly after the primary nymph stage (eggs with legs) thus the "N"
So by US naming conventions it would be 1st instars
That would explain why they are still in an incubator..

I honestly don't know why they would all be dropping like that.. "N" stage or 1st instar ;) is a fragile time for alot of species.. Anything could of gone wrong..

Sorry for the losses and good luck in the future.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
im almost positive its a contaminant issue, some are showing dks symptoms which has me believing they may ahve come into contact with something. perhaps from the water, perhaps some cleaning product airborne. i had done a lot of laundry earlier that day so perhaps thew detergent/softener. no telling but im almost positive that they came into contact with something. i may separate them out early and isolate them out

cold blood

Staff member
The species is very sensitive to lower humidity and dehydrate quickly without enough moisture.

cold blood

Staff member
im almost positive its a contaminant issue, some are showing dks symptoms which has me believing they may ahve come into contact with something. perhaps from the water, perhaps some cleaning product airborne. i had done a lot of laundry earlier that day so perhaps thew detergent/softener. no telling but im almost positive that they came into contact with something. i may separate them out early and isolate them out
Keeping in mind that dehydration can mimic DKS symptoms.

cold blood

Staff member
Post some pics of your incubator set up. I had this happen with my fist 4 sacs of A. avic (all at once) and my issue was the incubator set up its self.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Post some pics of your incubator set up. I had this happen with my fist 4 sacs of A. avic (all at once) and my issue was the incubator set up its self.
What style of incubator were you using? I want to know so that I can avoid it.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
It's very similar to @louise f setup.
I'll try to get a photo, but I'm thinking if it is stemming from a dehydration issue I might have to make another incubator with less ventilation for the next sac

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Lol, a makeshift one like you did. Once I switched to the one @louise f uses I stopped losing slings instantly.
Oh great.. Yea like I said it's my first time having a go at this style.. If it doesn't work this time I won't be using it again..

So far I deffinately like the more traditional style I usually use (totes water and pantyhose).. I noticed today the eggs looked a little dry.. I added water up to about a 1/2 inch away from the vent holes on the egg container.. If they still look kind of dry tomorrow I'll switch it up and hope it's not too late.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Sorry to hear about your troubles @Haksilence <3
As you say you could make an incubator with lesser vents. So the kitchen towel dont dry out that easy. A picture of your incubator would be nice <3
How is it going ?