Staehilo's centipedes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
One of my two new Kuranda E. rubripes. The other was very freshly molted upon arrival, and as it hid under a clump of sphagnum upon being introduced to the enclosure, I didn't photograph it as I did not want to disturb it.
I already handled one of them, albeit unintentionally, and while they seem very jumpy, I don't think they'll be too much of a problem to socialize.
These two are quite large - the bigger of the two is a little under 15cm BL, and the other one is quite close. Oh, and also, seeing photos will not prepare you for seeing one of these in the flesh. They are simply stunning.
DSCN2584.JPG

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I saw your video, absolutely stunning colours. I need to empty up some space before I get any more pedes, really kicking myself over not getting one

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Honestly, their colours in the video are nothing to how they look in real life. I'm sorry you were unable to get one - I'll let you know right away if I see them available again.
Here's another pic. It was taken on my phone, but is probably the photo closest to doing their colours justice.
IMG_0504.JPG

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Just saying, pedes don't exactly take up much room. You might still be able to get some from him.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Honestly, their colours in the video are nothing to how they look in real life. I'm sorry you were unable to get one - I'll let you know right away if I see them available again.
Here's another pic. It was taken on my phone, but is probably the photo closest to doing their colours justice.
View attachment 267245
That thing is amazing. Saw the video earlier but I didn’t expect them to be this pretty. :eek:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I know, I honestly wasn't prepared for their colours. In the photos sent by the seller (will show them later), the pedes looked nice, but not too remarkable, and put me under the impression that only young Kuranda rubripes were blue. It was quite a shock to see that larger individuals still have the beautiful coloration.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Just saying, pedes don't exactly take up much room. You might still be able to get some from him.
Yeah, same goes for the vast majority of inverts. But I'm running out of space as is and I need to get many of my animals into better enclosures, I get a lot of problems with mould and all sorts of stuff so I'd like to get everything under control before I get any more inverts. I'm also planning on getting either a monitor lizard or a conure so I'm gonna need as much space, money and time as I have for them

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Some more pics of my Kuranda rubripes. These do its colours some justice, but mark my words, they look a whole lot better in the flesh.
DSCN2632.JPG DSCN2628.JPG
And here's a pic of one of my tiger form rubripes. This one is currently the only fully socialized and handleable centipede in my collection. I intend to start working with one of the Kurandas (the non-post-molt one) tomorrow.
DSCN2617.JPG

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Wow. Those colors are amazing! I hope handling goes well... having such a beautiful centipede in hand must be quite an experience.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It would be indeed. I'm so happy I've actually gotten the hang of the whole handling thing now. I'd hate not to be able to handle those Kurandas.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Excellent pics! Question: are those mites a commensal species or parasitic? And sad news my E. sp "Tiger" (african import) escaped in my bug room!!!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure they're commensal, but I've been trying to get rid of them either way, as they seem to irritate the pede.
Shame that pede escaped, that was a pretty cool looking one. Stay alert, it might show up when you're least expecting it!