Staehilo's centipedes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, it seems I finally have enough pedes to make my own photo thread. Enjoy!

Dark Tiger form Ethmostigmus rubripes. These come from somewhere in Central Queensland, and are one of the largest rubripes variants. The collector I got this one off finds ~20cm individuals with a degree of frequency.
DSCN2467 (2).JPG
DSCN2472.JPG

Regular tiger rubripes feeding on a grape. I attempted interaction with this individual the "old" way, and now it's bitey as hell, so I can't handle it. I worked with another tiger (the one shown after this one) a different way, and it's fully calmed down now.
DSCN2518.JPG DSCN2524.JPG
DSCN2535.JPG

Tiger form rubripes #2. This one I worked with using the same method I used on my late S. morsitans, with excellent results. No handling pics as of yet.
DSCN2541.JPG
DSCN2482.JPG

Small green form E. rubripes.
DSCN2493.JPG DSCN2497.JPG

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, those Kurandas are amazing, it's just a pity they lose their blue coloration when they get big (though their mature green/aqua is still very nice). I'm just waiting for a response from the collector now. I may also get another dark tiger from him as well.

Last edited:

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Yeah, those Kurandas are amazing, it's just a pity they lose their blue coloration when they get big (though their mature green/aqua is still very nice). I'm just waiting for a response from the collector now. I may also get another dark tiger from him as well.
What's the collector's name? I'm really itching to get one but I don't know if minibeast wildlife is gonna have them soon, seems like it takes a while for them to get some of their stock

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
His name is Geoff O'Connor. He collects/sells dark tiger, black, Kuranda, yellow-legged and green E. rubripes, in addition to the classic Aussie scorps and Ts (Urodacus, Selenotypus, Phlogius etc.). His FB page is called Intrinsic Enterprises. If you don't have FB, I can message you his phone number if you wish. Just know that he is often out collecting for days on end, so don't expect a prompt response.

As for Minibeast Wildlife, I don't think they know a good deal about breeding centipedes. I messaged them very recently, expressing interest in another rubripes variant (the nQLD blue-tip, see attached image), and they said they have several adults, but haven't paired anything yet. I also read their book, Bugs Alive. While it is an excellent book, a read of their section on centipedes showed that they don't know how to sex them, falling for the common misconception that you can tell from the terminal legs (this only works for morsitans).
BlueTipRubripes.jpg

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
His name is Geoff O'Connor. He collects/sells dark tiger, black, Kuranda, yellow-legged and green E. rubripes, in addition to the classic Aussie scorps and Ts (Urodacus, Selenotypus, Phlogius etc.). His FB page is called Intrinsic Enterprises. If you don't have FB, I can message you his phone number if you wish. Just know that he is often out collecting for days on end, so don't expect a prompt response.

As for Minibeast Wildlife, I don't think they know a good deal about breeding centipedes. I messaged them very recently, expressing interest in another rubripes variant (the nQLD blue-tip, see attached image), and they said they have several adults, but haven't paired anything yet. I also read their book, Bugs Alive. While it is an excellent book, a read of their section on centipedes showed that they don't know how to sex them, falling for the common misconception that you can tell from the terminal legs (this only works for morsitans).
View attachment 266086
Thank you so much! You're a massive help man. And yeah, some of the stuff in bugs alive is wrong or outdated like how they recommend sponges in spider's water dishes. Otherwise it's a pretty good book

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Beautiful 'pedes. Rubripes are far more polymorphic than I though when I first saw pictures of them; ditto on the Kurandas!

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Beautiful 'pedes. Rubripes are far more polymorphic than I though when I first saw pictures of them...
That's probably because there isn't much on offer. I know few people breed pedes worldwide in general, but literally no one does it in Australia, save those that chance upon a WC gravid female. As such, the only rubripes variants that are available to most people are the green and tiger variants, as they're the most commonly encountered in the wild. You need to do a lot more probing to source anything else; simply browsing "for sale" ads and pet stores will only ever get you those two variants.

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Good news: I've just found another guy selling Kurandas on FB! I've messaged him, and should hopefully have some news soon!

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Sorry to say that I just bought the biggest one, plus another 12cm individual. He still has a few left, at about 9-12cm.
To judge from the fact that one of my posts got a like from someone named Dennis Nedry, I presume you're in the Australian Centipedes FB group. In which case, it should be pretty easy to find his post.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Sorry to say that I just bought the biggest one, plus another 12cm individual. He still has a few left, at about 9-12cm.
To judge from the fact that one of my posts got a like from someone named Dennis Nedry, I presume you're in the Australian Centipedes FB group. In which case, it should be pretty easy to find his post.
Yeah, that was me. I should've checked the group again, is it the guy named Steve?