Stacking new substrate on old?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It seems to gets older , but if there’s not much dirt or waste in the tank does it hurt to add more new substrate coco fiber on-top of top soil?? Or should I stick to the same substrate.
What substrate is the same consistency as potting soil without the plant food and stuff ? That stuff seems perfect for softness , top soil is rough I haven’t had a lot of success with it.

Potting soil isn’t safe ofc , I need to make or buy something similar to it or find better top soil .
home depot $2 a bag soil sucks as far as I’ve tried here it’s rough and tough.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You can use peat mix. Also I tend to sift out the bark and wood chunks from my bagged topsoil makes it a lot more useable.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You just throw it all out ? Old soil I was just using so the depth is deeep enough a fall won’t hurt the T. Imagine how many bricks of eco earth it take for a 10gal tank .
You can use peat mix. Also I tend to sift out the bark and wood chunks from my bagged topsoil makes it a lot more useable.
peat moss you mean like the big green square bags of it that are $15 or more?? Could I sift or fluff out the old topsoil it doesn’t really go bad ..unless it’s very old.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@viper69 Probably said that in a surfeit of caution. Old substrate can be a micro-oraganism bomb waiting to go off. Concentrated food and habitat for a vast variety of nasties.
Yeah no problem I can just toss it and get new substrate I stopped re using it because I’m allergic to the hairs . Smart owning all new worlds right ?lol :rofl:
I got 30 pounds of dirt out of my big tank . I’ll get the rest another day , let the minor hives go away.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Any ideas were to get the cheapest coco fiber ? Peat blows everywhere I don’t use it for Ts I’m alergic to the hairs . My post ;

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You just throw it all out ? Old soil I was just using so the depth is deeep enough a fall won’t hurt the T. Imagine how many bricks of eco earth it take for a 10gal tank .

peat moss you mean like the big green square bags of it that are $15 or more?? Could I sift or fluff out the old topsoil it doesn’t really go bad ..unless it’s very old.
No- I throw new on top of old IF it isn’t full of poop

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No- I throw new on top of old IF it isn’t full of poop
Yeah I saved the bottom layer like 3-5” or less the rest wasn’t worth salvaging . I’ll get a pic of it maybe . That top soil looked rough , moved the T to a smaller cage with eco earth only .
Fun part will be cleaning the cage to be more sea-through its webbed all over . Maybe I’ll just clean the glass and not worry about plexiglass lid it’s not that bad just dust I can wipe off easily .
I probably could had kept more dirt but I want to move the tank downstairs want it light .
I can easily carry it now hurry! :D

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes that’s what I mean!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Said to me about 10 minutes before I read that: "Why is common sense so uncommon?"
Ahh I didn’t care for the quality of the topsoil to begin with , potting soil would be perfect unfortunately because of pant food inside it I can’t use it .
because a lot of peeps want to be spoon fed, with 🍪 and 🥛they have poor critical thinking skills.

@DaveM
Haha I used to re use good substrate I quit because of alergy to hairs . If I ever get any more Ts they will be old world.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ahh I didn’t care for the quality of the topsoil to begin with , potting soil would be perfect unfortunately because of pant food inside it I can’t use it .

Haha I used to re use good substrate I quit because of alergy to hairs . If I ever get any more Ts they will be old world.
Smart

There are some NWs without UrS

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Smart

There are some NWs without UrS
It’s those lasiodora sp they love kicking hairs , curlys and pinkbloom dont .
i am going to itch for days because I didn’t wear gloves rehoused a T. Despite me not touching the spider using a catch cup it hair kicked .
Now my moms in her sell all my Ts mode .. but it’s only a Few or just 5-6 Lass 1 that kicks hairs badly ..I have given it a cage with 2 hides and 2 corkbark . It might never need new substrate or I can stack more ontop lol
4CB5509E-D731-4585-8F44-5B1FCD1309A0.jpeg 7AC6CF80-4024-4A76-A4FC-CEF275152D8E.jpeg

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s those lasiodora sp they love kicking hairs , curlys and pinkbloom dont .
i am going to itch for days because I didn’t wear gloves rehoused a T. Despite me not touching the spider using a catch cup it hair kicked .
Now my moms in her sell all my Ts mode .. but it’s only a Few or just 5-6 Lass 1 that kicks hairs badly ..I have given it a cage with 2 hides and 2 corkbark . It might never need new substrate or I can stack more ontop lol
View attachment 438379 View attachment 438380
You know better 🙄

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You know better 🙄
Yeah wont makes that mistakes again, I was trying to be quick enough to beat that hairs . Failure :sad::(
Easier to throw away a pair of temporary gloves than that. I should had used a mask too. I need a bigger windbreaker also for arm protection mine. Trust me im still itching like crazy but I can’t scratch it .I gotta wash my sheets and everything now to be safe .
Not getting any new new worlds…the ones with hairs . :sad:

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
they have poor critical thinking skills.
Or perhaps they are simply allergic thereto.

Trust me im still itching like crazy but I can’t scratch it
Apply a topical anti allergen preferably containing Cortisone and Mepyramine Maleate. Worked okay when I got the major itch from poison oak. I also added diphenhydramine and zinc oxide bearing calamine lotion.
If a full fire fighter turnout, gloves, quick hood and face mask doesn't keep out urushiol particulates, don't expect too much from personal protection.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Or perhaps they are simply allergic thereto.

Apply a topical anti allergen preferably containing Cortisone and Mepyramine Maleate. Worked okay when I got the major itch from poison oak. I also added diphenhydramine and zinc oxide bearing calamine lotion.
If a full fire fighter turnout, gloves, quick hood and face mask doesn't keep out urushiol particulates, don't expect too much from personal protection.
Yeah I use that cream and stuff for itch , still itching like crazy ! The hives mostly went away for are faintly there.
I’ll make sure to wear gloves around this spider from now on doing anything even feeding .
I have Ppe for urticaria hairs just didn’t wear It got haired , end of story ouch hurts/itches like helll .

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Ultum4Spiderz One thing you might try. When I've got into the fiberglass insulation, micro-needle city. I coated the itch-ouch areas with thin oil like baby oil then scraped my skin with a sharp knife. Repeatedly going over the area. This does pull those little needles out. Work gently and diligently, over and over. Hold the knife at near 90 degrees to the skin so it snags the needles instead of trying to cut them.