Stacking new substrate on old?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
@Ultum4Spiderz One thing you might try. When I've got into the fiberglass insulation, micro-needle city. I coated the itch-ouch areas with thin oil like baby oil then scraped my skin with a sharp knife. Repeatedly going over the area. This does pull those little needles out. Work gently and diligently, over and over. Hold the knife at near 90 degrees to the skin so it snags the needles instead of trying to cut them.
Hmm never thought of that , I tried electrical and clear duct tape to rip the micro hairs out . 90degrees any idea or what angle your talking about like sideways but so you don’t cut yourself ?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yeah I use that cream and stuff for itch , still itching like crazy ! The hives mostly went away for are faintly there.
I’ll make sure to wear gloves around this spider from now on doing anything even feeding .
I have Ppe for urticaria hairs just didn’t wear It got haired , end of story ouch hurts/itches like helll .
Place your hands in the hottest water you can withstand, for a minute or two, without burning of course... It will relief the itchiness istantly.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Would using a cold pack or rubbing ice along the affected area have an affect?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Would using a cold pack or rubbing ice along the affected area have an affect?
Not in my experience. Hot water relieves 99% of the itchyness instantly.

Rubbing it's not recommended, as it makes hairs penetrate even more.

You can use some vinegar, to disolve a bit those hairs, so they become less effective.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not in my experience. Hot water relieves 99% of the itchyness instantly.

Rubbing it's not recommended, as it makes hairs penetrate even more.

You can use some vinegar, to disolve a bit those hairs, so they become less effective.
I wondered why hot water made it feel so much better for a few seconds .
I haven’t tried vinegar before . I used tape and a knife sideways at 90 degrees or whatever that guy said to try and get the hairs out .
Washed my bed sheets also to be safe , today I’m feeling a little better less itchy .

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Any med that could explain the response of the autoimmune system system/cells to hot water?

Does it trigger any response or kills any cells, protein... etc that could cause itchiness?

Just pure hypothesis.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Hmm never thought of that , I tried electrical and clear duct tape to rip the micro hairs out . 90degrees any idea or what angle your talking about like sideways but so you don’t cut yourself ?
At an angle that scrapes and cannot cut or slice. A honed edge like a razor blade is best but has the chance to cut accidentally.
Tape is useless with the exception of micro adherence adhesion surgical tapes that prevent organisms from invading the area. The tape that bonds so well it takes the place of sutures in some circumstances. Very hard to come by and expensive.

@Ultum4Spiderz This angle. Use thin fine oil on your skin to help prevent abrasion. That knife is honed to 2000+

Attachments

Last edited:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Go get a cheap strainer/collander from the dollar store. This is what I use to sift my cheap top soil from the home improvement store. It works great to remove all the little bits of wood and pebbles in the top soil. 20210417_193513.jpg

The Snark

Old Timer
Go get a cheap strainer/collander from the dollar store.
One genius at the arboretum went to work with an ordinary orbital sander. Converted a half cubic yard of dried top soil into perfect potting mix in an hour or so. Just place the sander without sandpaper on top of the strainer. Zoom and down it goes. Scoop, buzz, dump, wash rinse repeat.

At the forestry nursery another brainiac got in on the works. Brought in an old beat up cement mixer. Crank out a couple thousand seedling pots a day? No problem. Shovel the dirt into the 'clod buster' and get it dizzy for a few minutes.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
One genius at the arboretum went to work with an ordinary orbital sander. Converted a half cubic yard of dried top soil into perfect potting mix in an hour or so. Just place the sander without sandpaper on top of the strainer. Zoom and down it goes. Scoop, buzz, dump, wash rinse repeat.

At the forestry nursery another brainiac got in on the works. Brought in an old beat up cement mixer. Crank out a couple thousand seedling pots a day? No problem. Shovel the dirt into the 'clod buster' and get it dizzy for a few minutes.
Woah talk about an ingenious idea. Did he need any perlite to make it potting soil or just topsoil ?
Go get a cheap strainer/collander from the dollar store. This is what I use to sift my cheap top soil from the home improvement store. It works great to remove all the little bits of wood and pebbles in the top soil. View attachment 438705
never thought of that wow nice plan.
At an angle that scrapes and cannot cut or slice. A honed edge like a razor blade is best but has the chance to cut accidentally.
Tape is useless with the exception of micro adherence adhesion surgical tapes that prevent organisms from invading the area. The tape that bonds so well it takes the place of sutures in some circumstances. Very hard to come by and expensive.

@Ultum4Spiderz This angle. Use thin fine oil on your skin to help prevent abrasion. That knife is honed to 2000+
yeah I see a certain direction it doesn’t cut you , I used clear duct tape for micro hairs but it didn’t work out so well. The knife worked far better than tape did.
I successfully added substrate ontop of old substrate, my lasiodora difficulties cage it didn’t flick hairs luckily .

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Woah talk about an ingenious idea. Did he need any perlite to make it potting soil or just topsoil ?
They used everything under then sun and a few elements that have yet to be discovered. Even brought in a geologist often for consultation.
To explain, some plants were from all over the world with their unique needs. Then they did research for the forestry department matching and adapting various plants to certain soils in re-plant or reforestation operations. And they did a lot of winging it getting plants to adapt to foreign environments. Think everything from decomposed granite to mega bio-active mud.
Their normal base was a top soil consisting of mostly sandy loam with a little clay and organic whatever, IE, just plain dirt.

With the clod buster toss in a few chunks of steel with the mix. Facilitates breaking up the clods and makes a hell of a racket.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Go get a cheap strainer/collander from the dollar store. This is what I use to sift my cheap top soil from the home improvement store. It works great to remove all the little bits of wood and pebbles in the top soil. View attachment 438705
Didn’t think of just sifting the dirt ! Wow so many problems could had been avoided . :astonished: