Stackable drawers...

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, dumb question - what do you think of these as enclosures for larger T's?

They look like they'd be kinda easy to open, but the more I think about it, the harder it seems for a T to escape. (I'm talking about larger 5+ inch T's)

Any thoughts?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi

If it were me, i would not put them in droor, let alone anything less than a sealed and secured-top cage. Tarantulas are EXTREMLY good escape artists, and the larger ones are much stronger than one would think. I wouldn't risk it. Good luck.

Mark

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree. Most of those stacking drawers are not suitable for anything live. They tend to be far less than escape-proof. If you want to have a rack system, the best thing to do is find an inexpensive enclosure style or styles that suit you and then put them on shelving. I built my own shelving for tupperware containers, but you can just as easily buy a cheap shelving unit and work with that.

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can use them, but most brands I've seen need to be modified to work, and it may be more trouble than it's worth. I've made special lids for drawers that go with the rubbermaid "Visions" line of stackable drawers. If you make a lid, it must be pretty low profile to fit back in the unit. Without a lid, the gap around the top is to big for comfort. Also, if used without a lid, you run the risk of seriously injuring the spider if it's on or touching the top when you open it.

Wade