Stacey the golden-web spider (Nephila Pilipes)

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
The future of Stacey's web development company

We buried Stacey today, and that is the end of a story of a really awesome spider. It's been almost 10 years since I tried keeping free-roaming orbweavers, I just never had the place to do it when I was younger. This chance encounter with Stacey has really renewed that spark in me, and also taught me a lot about caring for them. She can be a lot of work, but just watching her perched majestically on her web while having my morning coffee is one of the finer things in life.
In spite of the loss of our CEO, the future of Stacey's web development company is looking bright.

Introducing Skittles

One of our employees, Skittles, is back from maternity leave, with a present for us.

Skittleseggsac.jpg

Skittles is a Nephilengys malabarensis. She is an amazing little spider, and I had always been planning to create a thread about her, but it kept slipping my mind. I will be removing her eggsac later, and while this is necessary for the well-being of her babies, removing eggsacs is the part I absolutely hate most about spider-keeping. The first eggsac I removed was from a B.smithi, and the way a usually docile, fluffy spider tried to murder me and protect her babies really is heart-wrenching to watch. I give them a tissue paper ball afterwards to comfort them, but watching them discard it after a while is equally sad.

A new CEO

Fate is a strange thing sometimes. Just as Stacey has left our lives, a new little thing has entered it. It has always been a dream of mine to keep a Nephila kuhlii at home. They are really beautiful spiders, but are relatively rare. That is why previously, I brought an adult one home against my better judgement, and she promptly got dispatched by Stacey. The fight almost killed Stacey, and I learnt the hard way that keeping 2 orbweavers in the same room isn't the best of ideas. After burying Stacey, my wife and I took a hike around the area, and guess what? We saw the tiniest little N. kuhlii just hanging out. She is just a bit bigger than my thumbnail, and was just hanging out by the road. This is the first time I have seen one even close to being this young. We brought her home, cleared out Stacey's old webs (the poop stains, by the way, are now permanent decor), and let the little thing loose. I had dinner, and prepared to take a photo, but the hardworking little thing is already building a web. Talk about youth and being enthusiastic at your job!

So anyways, no photos for now as I do not want to disturb her, I'll probably start a new thread soon on the lives of these 2 little things. Meanwhile, time to think of a new name for the new CEO!

Aline

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you so much for this thread and your dedication to keeping Stacey and the other "employees" safe and happy :) Where is the new thread for the N Kuhlii? I want to read it !!!

Last edited: