St. Louis Zoo, St. Louis, MO (56K bring a book to read)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
went on a weekday, was fairly cold too..fortunately everything i really wanted to see was kept indoors. :D

started off in the herpetarium. forgive me if some of these names are wrong or unknown to me. they had an A. versicolor labeled as A. urticans, so i wouldn't be surprised if there were other missed updates.

might do this thread in sections..there are a LOT of pics.

Cyclura cornuta?

Sphenodon punctatus

Corucia zebrata (thanks gil!)

or this guy.

Chlamydosaurus kingii

another unknown.

Bothriopsis taeniata

blurry pic of Bothriechis schlegelii

anaconda

Acrantophis madagascariensis?

two types of tortoise

Tomistoma schlegelii

Boa dumerili

Macroclemys temminckii

Physignathus cocincinus

Rhacodactylus auriculatus

Peltophryne lemur

these had no label or anything, so i have no idea.

Varanus beccari

Lachesis stenophrys

Brachylophus fasciatus

Bitis gabonica rhinoceros

Crotalus adamanteus

roommate of the eastern diamonback, Elaphe guttata guttata

Uroplatus fimbriatus..funny thing about this first pic is that we never even saw the darker one until i got home and uploaded the pictures. :eek:

Ophiophagus hannah

Python molurus bivittatus

Paleosuchus palpebrosus

Varanus komodoensis

Geochelone radiata

Python reticulatus

Caiman crocodilus

Clemmys guttata

Apalone spinifera

Nerodia sipedon

Agkistrodron piscivorus leucostoma..best pic i could get of it..wouldn't come out any further than that.

Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta

Crotalus horridus?

Sistrurus catenatus and a couple Pituophis catenifer sayi, then a close up of the S. catenatus.

Atelopus zeteki

a couple Bothriechis lateralis

close up

Siren intermedia nettingi

not sure what kind of fish this is..but it lived with the following Amphiuma tridactylum.

Bothriechis aurifer

next three weren't trying to help me get a good picture...

Zhaoermia mangshanensis

Vipera kaznakovi

Naja oxiana

Eristicophis macmahoni

Vipera latasti gaditana

Protobothrops jerdonii xanthomelas

Montivipera raddei raddei

Python anchietae

Cordylus warreni depressus

Dendroaspis polylepis

Heloderma horridum horridum

Montivipera bulgardaghica

Montivipera wagneri

Sceloporus serrifer cyanogenys

Sceloporous poinsettii?

Heloderma suspectum

Sauromalus obesus

in the same enclosure: this little guy jumped on the bigger one to soak up some heat. every so often, the larger one would kick it's back legs out to try and shake off the little one. was pretty funny to watch.

Rhynchophis boulengeri

Bothriechis nigroviridis..wish i could've gotten better pics of this one.

Theloderma corticale

Pyxis arachnoides brygooi

Crotalus willardi willardi

Mantella aurantiaca

sign at the entrance/exit.

i guess that will be it for now..give my copy past fingers a little break. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i have to admit it is pretty nice! not too far either..about 1.5 hours one way.

next set are from outside while walking over to the insectarium..figured we'd have a look at some of the displays on the way.

first..one last one from the herpetarium that i forgot to include.

Bitis gabonica rhinoceros

sea lions

swans, canadian geese and other ducks

penguins, puffins, and a strange looking duck or two.

polar bear

spectacled bear

grizzly bears

insectarium!

isopods

Scolopendra sp.

Brachypelma smithi

Pandinus imperator

some type of slug.

Blaberus giganteus

Aphonopelma hentzi

Amblycheila cylindriformis

Hadogenes troglodytes

Coelocnemis californicus

Tarantula sp. (thanks for verifying this jake!)

velvet ants (Mutillidae)

Hadrurus arizonensis

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

Ummidia sp.

Chartergus globiventris nest

Nephila clavipes

Latrodectus sp.

Avicularia versicolor..that was labeled A. urticans.

Lasiodora parahybana

next to my moms hand.

part of a display featuring various delicacies from around the world.

Blaberus craniifer

dung beetle (Scarabidae)

Archispirostreptus gigus

bad picture of some leeches (Haemopis marmorata)

Panchlora nivea

Eudicella gralli

Heteropteryx dilatata

Thermonectus marmoratus

Abedus sp.

Platymeris biguttata

Coccinella novemnotata

Microcentrum rhombifolium

Gromphadorhina portentosa

various pinned moths

pinned display of Aphonopelma chalcodes (i think) being attacked by Pepsis heros.

Extatosoma tiaratum

sorry, i'm not much of a butterfly person..so here they are in a large chunk.

one emerging from it's chrysalis...we didn't catch the whole process unfortunately.

a couple hibiscus flowers from the butterfly dome.

random other plant in there..forgot the common name.

these trees were on the way out and my mom was wondering what they were. they weren't labeled, so i figured i'd take a couple pics and see if anyone know.

thats it. hope you enjoyed them. :D

Last edited:

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Loads of pictures eh? Thanks for posting. :clap:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
forgive me if some of these names are wrong or unknown to me.
NO FORGIVENESS!!!!!!! The Hadogenes troglodytes looks like it is more likely H.paucidens. This would also be in line with the current import situation. It is almost certainly mislabeled, as it is everywhere else.

Nice pictures, though. Some very nice animals.

Cheers,
Dave

NrthCstInverts

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im all sorts of jealous now that we dont have something similar to that here in Northern Ohio. We have the rainforest building that houses our bugs, but i think we should get an individual building like yours!!!

Awesome pics by the way. You got some pretty good angles on some of those!

mcem

Arachnopeon
Hey great shots!! I always lurk here and never post but since I work in the herp building in St. Louis, I figured I'd help on the IDs that were left blank.

So the turtle is a McCord's box turtle (Cuora mccordi), the frog is Leptodactylus fallax, in the one with the large tortoise that you title 2 types there are actually 3: Aldabra tortoises, a Galapagos tortoise and huge yellow foot tortoises, the unidentified frogs that aren't labeled are Phyllomedusa bicolor, the one you labeled as radiated tortoises also has an Aldabra in there, the sunfish...not sure myself :? , and you switch the labels on the Eristicophis and the Vipera. Anyways hope this helps and really hope you enjoyed your visit!!!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
I truly enjoy the insectorium pics. :)
glad you liked them. i had a lot of fun seeing all that stuff and taking the pics. :D

NO FORGIVENESS!!!!!!! The Hadogenes troglodytes looks like it is more likely H.paucidens. This would also be in line with the current import situation. It is almost certainly mislabeled, as it is everywhere else.
"forgiveness please" -random yakuza type guy on the simpsons. :}

yea, i'm not too up on all my scorpions..so i would never have noticed. nor did i even know about the whole name situation.

thanks, i took your advice from the aquarium thread and bought a polarizing filter. other than that, i tried to take the pics at an angle rather than straight on..one of the pics i took straight on is VERY bright. :rolleyes:

Im all sorts of jealous now that we dont have something similar to that here in Northern Ohio. We have the rainforest building that houses our bugs, but i think we should get an individual building like yours!!!
well..at least you have something cool to check out then. they have a lot more animals there..only problem was, our time was limited. (we wanted to get over to a local brewery and have lunch and some beers. :D )

Hey great shots!! I always lurk here and never post but since I work in the herp building in St. Louis, I figured I'd help on the IDs that were left blank.

So the turtle is a McCord's box turtle (Cuora mccordi), the frog is Leptodactylus fallax, in the one with the large tortoise that you title 2 types there are actually 3: Aldabra tortoises, a Galapagos tortoise and huge yellow foot tortoises, the unidentified frogs that aren't labeled are Phyllomedusa bicolor, the one you labeled as radiated tortoises also has an Aldabra in there, the sunfish...not sure myself :? , and you switch the labels on the Eristicophis and the Vipera. Anyways hope this helps and really hope you enjoyed your visit!!!
thanks for the IDs. was worried i'd mix some up on my own.. i tried to take pics of the signs as i went so i could have them to read whenever..but i didn't remember to get all of them.

that's awesome you work there! lots of nice herps! just wish you all had some Atheris. :) i want to go back there sometime in either feb or early march with my tripod..i'll definitely shoot you a pm ahead of time if or when i do. should be heading out there at some point to finalize some things with the navy, so might try to squeeze it in on that trip if i'm not too exhausted.

Warduke

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the pics it looked like a fun trip and i especially like the madagascar ground boa.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
What a collection! Thanks for taking all those pix and thanks for posting them!

glenoweth

Arachnopeon
View attachment 75790

we have these here in Alabama they are called cow killers because the sting is very bad. they are not an ant, infact they are a wingless wasp.. they are normaly seen walking solo ,and they have a huge stinger it comes out about 1/4" ...very neet looking wasps.

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Great photos but it took me forever to get to the invert photos even with high speed (next time I think the inverts should go up front :) )
I think they should trade in those isopods for the orange ones.

The "Tarantula sp." is actually Damon, most likely a male Damon diadema, from Africa. Phrynus species (AKA the supressed "Tarantula") are New World, generally small and males don't have much in the way of exaggerated pedipalps.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow!, after looking at all those pics, I feel like I just went to the zoo, saved a lot of time and gas! Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics, the invert stuff was the grand finale! My fav vert is in the thread is the Alligator Snapper, giant skink is cool to me too.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome pictures :)

I went to see the Zoo lights during Christmas. Since I was there late I missed the Reptiles and inverts. It was nice to see them.

I think the St.Louis zoo is a pretty nice place. I actually like it better than the Chicago zoos.

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
I've been going to this zoo all my life so I guess I take it for granted...it is a great zoo; and free too, for the most part. If you go to their website, you will find that they have many more tarantulas (OWs and NWs) that I have never seen on display in the past 4 years (if anyone knows why..i'm curious, are they on loan? Not the best display Ts?)

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice!! The boise zoo has always sucked. After seeing these pics, it sucks even worse. Better take me a little roadtrip this summer!! Thanks for sharing.